Norwegian Sky Cruise Review by IDoSpas: First time cruising with NCL

Compare Prices on Norwegian Sky Bahamas Cruises

First time cruising with NCL

Sail Date: February 2013
Destination: Bahamas

This was a short vacation with my husband. We have not taken a vacation together since our kids where born 19 years ago.

I'll write reviews on our ports also.

Room: Very small. We cruised with Carnival and they are bigger. We had a balcony room. The TV is small, but we didn't watch it much. The bed was very comfortable and we slept well. Not a lot of storage room, and no robes. Carnival offers more storage and robes.

Ship: It is small and only took us a few hours to figure out the layout. The dinning layout is bad as it is an older ship. You have to go threw the sitting area on deck 11 to get to the inside buffet. So we stuck to the back of the ship where they also have a buffet and sat out side to eat. Very nice. I would suggest if you want to skip the lines go there. The pools are nice but hard to get into. The walls that surround it are very high, so instead of trying to step over it we had to sit and spin. There are 4 hot tubs between the pools, they are More also hard to get in and out of.

Entertainment: Good. We saw a tribute band show (4 seasons) with 4 young males. They are very talented. A juggling show that was great. And we brought white cloths for the Hot White party. Very fun. Be sure to go dancing at this event. I haven't danced for 20 years but I danced all night at this party. (after having a few drinks ;) lol We did notice that the 4 singers from the tribute show also enjoyed this party.

Food: We eat twice at the French restaurant. SO GOOD. I had duck both nights, my husband had steak and then pork. We also had snail, muscles, asparagus, scollops for appraisers. VERY GOOD. The wine is expensive, plan on 30-70 dollars a bottle. We eat once in the main dinning area. It was good. We had room survive, with salad and BLT's. I paid $2 for apple juice.

The Smell: Yes as stated before there is a smell on deck 10 in back of the ship. Again from bad layout probably.

Casino: Don't get suckered into playing the new game Key Hole. No one ever wins this thing, We watched for 2 days. Don't do it.... Less

Read more Norwegian Sky cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Sky Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Sky 0050

we where in room 0050. Deck 10. Close to the elevators and only one floor to food. We liked our room. We had a balcony room. I would get one of these if you can. 10th floor we saw every port, enjoyed our nights and mornings on it. Bathroom is a bit small, shower very small. But it was good and we didn't need much more.

Snorkeling

(3)
Our first excursion for snorkeling and private beach got canceled and we didn't find out until after the fact. We where the only two signed up for it. So we went to one of the desk out side and signed up for a 90 min. snorkeling excursion for $59 each. They provided transportation both ways. The water was very ruff but that was ok as we really wanted to snorkel. Once we where in the water you couldn't tell. They took us out about a mile, we jumped in and they threw bread in and the fish all came at once, it was awesome. The other people that went on the tour only stayed in for about 20 minutes and my husband and I stayed in for only 40 minutes as we felt bad everyone waiting on us. They didn't want us wandering very far from the boat either. But that was ok as we saw a lot of fish. I will post photo's if the review let's me.

Boat ride over was a bit of an adventure as one person had a sezure and hit his head and then another little girl got sea sick and threw up. Medical came VERY fast and both people where off the boat in minutes. It only took about 10 minutes to get to the island. If you want first off you should be on the top deck both ways. They do take everyones picture going threw the gate, such a pain. So we walked around everyone to get our chairs. We stayed to the right, close to bathrooms, drinks and the water. Just a short walk to lunch. If you like snorkeling this Island is wonderful. We where so surprised. We went off to the rock formation to the left and wow, so many fish. If you like snorkeling you should stay to your left on this beach around the rock. The larger rock was good to but not as good. Lunch was good. They only serve ribes on the very right of the buffett so if you want them go there. People would try to cut line but we did not let them, sorry we waited 10 or more minutes to get ribes ;) They had hambergers, hot dogs, pizza all the fixings and a lot of salads and fruits. O and lots of deserts, beans, rolls, bread. Lot's and Lot's of food. Very good.

Atlantis Aquaventure

(5.5)
This is well worth the money. We got a ride to and from the cruise line. I was a bit worried with all of the other reviews stating that they would keep us and take us threw all of the casino's etc. But they did not. We did walk threw them but it gave us a great idea of the layout. I would do this for sure. This place is amazing. We did the big river 3 times. It takes about 20 minutes to go threw it and then you have a choice to do one of 2 slide rides in the middle of it. We did both. This was one of our favorite rides. We also did the tube ride going threw the sharks (surpine slide) I think. That was a lot of fun and you shouldn't miss it. We also enjoyed the pools. We made sure visit almost all of the other attractions. The Dig,,,, you will not want to miss this. We walked threw the hole thing, and then back tracked and did it again. Lunch: We just got some food at one on the food bars by the pools. A bit pricey but omg so much food. I got the loaded nachos (so big) 2 people can eat this. My husband got the fish sandwich. So amazing.