Norwegian Jade Cruise Review by pghflyer: Great bargain, nice experience, some tips for 1st NCL cruise
Overall Member Rating
Great bargain, nice experience, some tips for 1st NCL cruise
Destination: Europe - Eastern Mediterranean
Embarkation: Rome (Civitavecchia)
This itinerary was a bargain, paying less per night for a balcony than for a local Holiday Inn. We have cruised on Princess and Carnival before, so this was our first NCL Cruise. Overall, we were very pleased - thought the selling of junk (photos, mugs, drink packages, etc) was MUCH reduced from other lines, loved the lack of required formal dining, and the shows were better with more variety.
As first time cruisers from Rome and on NCL, wanted to share some things that we thought it would have been nice to know in advance
- No need to bring any formal clothes. If you have jeans/ pants and a button up (even golf style) shirt, that is as formal as needed. They didn't kick anyone out.
- The Rome embarkation was kind of a mess compared to our other domestic itineraries. Nothing is marked so everyone got in the first big line in the first building....which turns out is for baggage drop, and is only required if you aren't carrying on all your bags. So, we got back in More the other regular check-in line which randomly closed/ opened based on the backup at security. Once we finally were all the way inside, it turns out we were supposed to grab a plastic number card (to indicate our boarding group) in a little unmarked basket at the entrance to that area. Not sure how we would have known that.
- Room (Balcony BB) had 2, 110V outlets (US Style) so we didn't bring a charger.- Bed linens were very thin, couch had some staining, mirror was smudged with previous tenant head grease, small amounts of dust...but overall was a nice cabin.
- Like that the balconies have sliding door, unlike regular doors on Carnival.
- You can get $100 OBC for your cruise right then, if you make a $250 deposit on a future cruise good for the next 4 years and full transferable. Great Deal.
- Coffee was good.
- Have a hairdryer.
- Room had some slight creaking noise while at sea, which was very distracting.
- Big bathroom, very nice and great hot showers.
- No mints /chocolates in turn-down service.
- No need to take the free "guided ship tour" on the first day, just walk you around showing where stuff is - no behind the scenes stuff.
- The Martini tastings were a great deal (at sea days) - $15 for 6 different varieties of martinis, most made with premium Grey Goose.
- The 4pm-6pm Happy Hour is BOGO on wine, beer, and cocktails at Tankards and a great deal. Same with the 6pm-8pm Martini BOGO at Star Bar.
- You can buy a bottle of wine and dinner and save the unused portion for later (they will tag and store it for you for free).
- Wireless Internet is expensive...if you buy in the first few days is $55 for 100 minutes plus 20 bonus minutes. Less
Read more Norwegian Jade cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Jade Review >>
Thomson Dream or Nightmare
4 Night Cruise; Southampton to...
One of Our Favorite Cruise Lin...
Lovely cruise with reservation...
I love Norwegian!
Would use Norwegian Line again...
Norwegian Jade Cruise Mayhem