Carnival Glory Cruise Review by snorkelgirl1: Not so glorious Glory
Member Since 2010
Compare Prices on Carnival Glory Eastern Caribbean Cruises
Not so glorious Glory
Here are my main findings about the Glory. I did a "back to back" for total 14 days / Jan 27 and Feb 3 sailings. I have cruised over 18 times on 7 different cruise lines.
1. Entertainment: no Caribbean group on Lido deck, just a single guitar player or a loud DJ. Big shows fine. Small group entertainment sub par. Combo group, Brett and the Innuendos, was sub par, and acted like a garage rehearsal band. Latin Beat was good, just too loud for spaces. Why did ship have TWO single guitar players as acts?
Comedy acts generally good and nice to have family and adult shows.
2. Service: dinner wait staff one week good, one bad. Maitre de stayed at front entrance, should be supervising service. Wait staff repeatedly passed menus and food in front of one diner to deliver it, vs walking around table. Even with set dining, wait staff did not remember specifics for each diner: such as wanting iced tea, or ground pepper with salad/soup. Wait staff having More to ask at dinner: "pork loin?" "Fish" to know who to serve the entree to. Think in prior times there were "table captains" who supervised a group of tables for service and continued to instruct staff in service.....no longer.
3. Food: dinner: main entree often cool....needing to be sent back. ( I am NOT a picky diner, never had to do before). Some food not prepared as stated on menu.
4. Room safes: need a credit card or magnetic strip card to USE the safe, so bring an expired card if you can. Stupid.....I want the card IN the safe, don't want to have to hide it in the room, so I can use it to open the safe.
5. Configuration: TIP: you need to use Deck 5 to reach deck 4 or 3 AFT. Galley and dining room mid -ship make this necessary. Often see this apply to one deck but rarely two decks.
6. Don't like buffet lines, prefer "islands" for easier, faster service. Deli was often understaffed and provided only sandwiches, nothing else. Would like to see a salad and make your own sandwich area, for those of us who do not want a heavy meal at lunch.
7. Obnoxious #1: Too many photographers. At least 3-4 every-night, 6-7 on formal nights. Occupy much space in public spaces, made moving in kaleidoscope alley/ main passageway slow and congested, unable to enjoy the public space and being constantly solicited by the photographers began to resemble harassment. Totally obnoxious, totally too many.
8. Obnoxious #2: Sales people from ships stores YELLING in the atrium space "cigarette sale today only" "liquor tasting in 20 minutes" "gold by the inch" etc, during the evening while entertainment going on.....Why? Every night. Really loud. Very low class.
9. Daily weather report would be appreciated. Temps in both C and F.....travelers are international.
10. Gone: *Captains meet and greet: no formal get together, no free drinks. Some of the officers and captain mingle in the public spaces instead *free munchies at bars in evening
11. Serenity/ adult only forward deck 10-11 nice. Too bad very loud DJ on mid-ship Lido spoils the atmosphere. Adult only pool/ space aft is nice and much used.
12. Embarkation/ disembarkation fine. Carnival has "first to the fun" program, you pay for entire cabin to embark first. Not sure if worth the money. You decide. Less
Read more Carnival Glory cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Glory Review >>