Norwegian Sky Cruise Review by usermom: Pleasantly surprised

Compare Prices on Norwegian Sky Bahamas Cruises

Pleasantly surprised

Sail Date: January 2013
Destination: Bahamas

My husband and I planned to go to a friend's Superbowl party and visit family in Florida in January to get away from the cold in the Northeast. We decided to add a relaxing cruise to our getaway. Five years prior, our large family had taken an NCL cruise from NY to Bermuda and did not have a great experience due to the LONG wait times for "free style dining" and very poor dining room service. We figured we'd give NCL since there was a special upgrade deal and onboard credit offer when we were looking to book a cruise which seemed to good to be true ($199 for 4 nights plus onboard credit).
We had a mid ship cabin on the 9th floor which was quite small but adequate to meet our sleeping and showering needs, and it was nice and quiet at night. Our cabin steward provided exceptional service. Beach towels were provided and exchanged daily which allowed one less thing to pack. We ate in the main dining rooms two nights where the service was great and we had no trouble walking in More at the time we preferred and getting a table as long as we were willing to sit with other people. The first night we enjoyed the surf-n-turf dinner. The lobster tails were good size Maine lobster tails. In general we thought the portions were quite small, but you can order as many courses and dinners as you like so we did not starve. We ate in Le Bistro one night and were extremely disappointed in our meals. Our last night we ate at Cagney's which was great; the service was spectacular and the meals were top notch.
The sail away parties were a lot of fun. There was always a band and some type of BBQ or taco bar offered. We did not have any trouble finding chairs.
Every night there was a 2 for 1 happy happy in a different bar from 6p-8p so we purchased wine there and brought it to dinner.
We enjoyed many of the shows: comedian, juggler, Newlywed game, etc. But the visibility is so poor in the Stardust theatre unless you get seats at least 30 minutes prior to the shows.
We thought the shore excursions we booked directly through NCL were awesome:
LUCAYAN NATIONAL PARK KAYAK EXPERIENCE in GRAND BAHAMA ISLAND
DISCOVER ATLANTIS & BEACH BREAK in NASSAU
WAVE RUNNER TOUR (SINGLE) in GREAT STIRRUP CAY
We are glad we gave NCL another try since this cruise ended with a very positive experience which we would recommend to others. You can't beat the value. Less

Read more Norwegian Sky cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Sky Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Sky 9138

There was a closet with three very small drawers contained in the closet as well as a safe. Quiet location

Kayaking

(5)
We outside the gates in the port at Freeport to board a van where we were transported to a guide who had a van and trailer with kayaks attached to his van. Tip: make sure you use the bathroom there since bathrooms become delicacy later on duing the day. Our guide, Chadwin,was exceptional and made sure everyone (even the "weak links" had a positive kayaking experience. This excursion was great for a first time kayaker or an experienced one. Lucayan National Park was beautiful but challenging at times navigating through. We had a lot of laughs as we played bumper boats accidentally at times. Then we were taken to the Gold Rock beach where we had a sandwich lunch and an hour to spend at the beach. this was one of the most beautiful, peaceful beaches I have ever been to. only complaint is, I wished we could have stayed there longer. Chadwin then shared his wealth of knowledge on a nature walk and to the Ben cave which was beautiful and another cave. I wasn't sure I would like that part of it, but I'm glad we went especially since the bats don't come until March. Then we had a 25 minute ride back to the NCL Sky.

Going jetskiing has been on my bucket list for awhile, but I was afraid. This excursion enticed me because it was described as a tour. This definitely surpassed my expectations; it was amazing and I think all 9 people who were on this excursion would agree with me. Some had been jetskiing before while some of us never had; some rode a single while others rode a double. Our belongings were locked up for us, then we watched a short video about how to jetski and safety. There were three guides that split themselves amongst the very experienced riders, us and a couple that did not want to venture into the open seas. We were encouraged and accompanied out into the ocean reaching speeds up to 32 miles. On our way back we stopped at a beautiful spot in the ocean with the guide to pick up sand dollars and sea horses. We would highly recommend this excursion.

Atlantis

(5)
We were transported from the Nassau dock by coach bus to Paradise Island's Atlantis; given a brief tour of the beautiful resort as well as a free bag and beach towels. We spent most of the day on the beautiful beach where we were provided free of charge with covered or non-covered beach lounge chairs. Locals sold drinks , foot massages and jewelery on the beach. Throughout the day we also enjoyed the casino, The Dig and the other aquariums, and shark feeding time. Although this was an expensive excursion $79 pp, we were so glad that we got to experience a day at this well known resort. Food and drinks could be purchased throughout the resort with a credit card. we chose to wait to eat until we got back on the ship, and we were not alone. Buses ran at 30 minute intervals up until 4p to return to the cruise ship. Tip: we bought water from a vendor for $1 when we were boarding the bus to go to Atlantis and it is $5 in Atlantis