Adventure of the Seas Cruise Review by bonniboo1: Great cruise

Great cruise

Sail Date: January 2013
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Embarkation: San Juan

Arrived in San Juan the early evening before the cruise. Quickly got our luggage and took a taxi to the Hampton Inn. Very friendly staff, nice clean rooms and a nice breakfast. It was getting late when we arrived so we had a hamburger at the pool grill. Very pretty area with friendly staff and the best burger that I've ever had. The next morning we walked across the street to Walgreens so that my friend could buy 2 bottles of wine. She said that the prices were very reasonable, comparable to what she pays @ home. There is a small store @ the RCC terminal but she said that they were much more expensive than Walgreens. On Sunday after breakfast we took a taxi to the port @ 10:30 am. Check in was a breeze. We were sent to a priority boarding area and had fun chatting with some other folks. We were on by I think 11:40 and headed to the Windjammer. I immediately heard the words "Roll Call" and introduced myself to some Very nice CC members. Windjammer was fine, with great More service.
Off to the cabin @ 1pm. I was a bit concerned after booking 3612 because it was so low on the ship. It turned out to be a win. It was on a secluded corridor with about only 18 other cabins. It was right outside the breakfast dining room and near many of the activities. It was very quiet. The cabin had a very large window. Small but nicely laid out and decorated. Our cabin steward was very nice and kept our room clean. We mostly had breakfast in dining room which was just fine. They had the usual selections and a large help yourself area of cereals, granola, dried and fresh fruits and more. They were only open for lunch on the day at sea. We had the famous Tutti Salad which was very good.I had made the My Time Dining reservations on line prior to the trip. After the first night I was able to arrange with the very helpful woman who is stationed in front of the dining room to have the same table each evening. Top notch waiter Rigor and his assistant "O" (sorry, I forgot his name). Food for the most part was very good. Wasn't wild over the prime rib. The standouts for me were the minestrone soup, short rib ragout and the lamb dishes. I heard that the lobster was very good. You could always get a snack in the Promenade Cafe and there was usually something going on in the Windjammer, and there is always room service. Roomservice breakfast menu is in your cabin and the more extensive menu is on the TV.
We had a fun informal meet and greet before the Muster Drill and a RCC hosted event on Monday. There were lots of prizes and food for everyone. It was definitely the best CC event that I've attended. Thank you Gerome and RCC.
Anthony Richards was a very enjoyable Cruise director. He is very quick on his feet and very funny. He is my favorite CD in all of my 9 cruises. I've seen the many "Marriage Games" and "Quests". TheseWere the best thanks to Anthony. The Ice show is NOT to be missed. The other shows were ok.
I found this ship to be pretty, clean and well maintained. The crew was fantastic. I kept on reading about all of the rude people onboard...I never experienced this. There were many folks from everywhere,: USA, Europe, Puerto Rico, India and on and on. Wonderful, polite and fun! I will do a brief summary of the ports later. I did want to mention that I did book a post cruise excursion which ultimately brought us to the airport. Our delightful and funny guide was very knowledgeable. He took us to one of the beautiful government buildings, the famous fort and many other sites. We stopped for lunch at a very nice spot which turned out to be right down the street from the Hampton Inn.
Great cruise and great CC Roll call friends. Less

Read more Adventure of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Adventure of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Adventure of the Seas Oceanview Stateroom Deck 3 3612

Small but comfortable. Large window. Quiet location around the corner from the dining room.

Didn't do much here, mostly walked around and checked out the shops. It started to rain so we ducked into the market which was basically a bunch of stalls selling similar items. I am sure that if I had taken a tour I would have seen the beauty of the Island.
Read 802 Antigua Reviews

A bunch of us took taxis to the Boatyard. We didn't get there as early as I wanted because my friend wanted to go shopping first. Get there early. For $24 for 2 we got chairs, umbrella and a rum punch and use of everything including a Tarzan Swing over the water. There is a fun bar/eatery there. The prices are in Caribbean dollars so don't panic. This place is very well run by an owner/manager. The admission price included a taxi ride back to the ship.
Read 703 Barbados Reviews

Had emailed Sand Castle before the cruise and made reservations. For $25 we got 2 chairs, an umbrella and when we had lunch (fish tacos) we were each give a choice of any beverage, even Mango Coladas. The lunch was reasonably prices, sort of upscale in a nice environment. The staff was lovely. The beach was pretty and a little rocky in places. I was able to collect sea glass there. Short taxi ride from ship. Very nice small resort.

My friends took tours but I opted to just walk around. I ignored the duty free at the port and took a taxito the Castries Craft and Spice Market. My mistake, crowded and crazy. I started walking around but I didn't feel entirely safe so I took the ferry back and had a good time at the Duty free shopping at the port. The employees were very nice and helpful.

Our CC group took a private tour with Bernards tours. Everything had been arranged for months. Our group leader Lisa requested "Sugar" to be our driver/guide. Very wise decision. He was warm, funny and knowledgeable and very accomadating. We went to: an Iguana Farm, Orient Beach, Airplane Beach, and Marigot on the French side for a little shopping. We stopped at a huge souvenir shop before heading back. Very much worth the money. Before the tour we met up with Bernard at the Cruise information center. There we some stalls set up for food and gifts.