Norwegian Sun Cruise Review by SouthLyonCruiser: Big Bang For The Bucks

Member Since 2010

Compare Prices on Norwegian Sun Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Big Bang For The Bucks

Sail Date: January 2013

Embarkation With the exception of an aggressive porter; who told us we should bring our bags to the cart as opposed to leaving them with all of the others that were lined up next to the bus, and holding dollars bills for all to see so that you knew you were expected to tip him instead of him moving to the line of bags and loading up as he was supposed to, embarkation was as smooth as any I have experienced. I have written to Norwegian concerning this and indicated that I would like a reply

Cabin We had the first cabin all of the way forward on deck 10. The cabin was fine with the exception of the shower which was the smallest I have ever experienced. Our cabin steward, Perfecto, was exceptional and after the first day knew all of our habits. He kept the ice filled and made towel animals every day.

Public Spaces All of the ship was well maintained considering the age of the ship (12 years). We never had a problem with getting an elevator except at the normal busy More times like after shows and embarkation and debarkation in the ports.

Fitness Center While we never had a problem getting a machine the fitness center did not open till 6AM. That would probably not be important to some people but there were a lot of early risers that would prefer that the center be open 24 hours.

Dining We ate dinner at the Four Seasons for dinner several times and a couple of breakfast. I found the food to be very good and the selection was fine. The fixed menu (same items available every day) had plenty of things that I liked in case the menu of the day didn't appeal to me. We never had a problem getting a table. The main reason may be that we ate at 6PM. People that ate later may have ad a wait but from what I saw the wait was no worse than restaurants at home. We also ate at the Brazilian style steak house. It was outstanding and well worth the extra cost. The buffet was fine as far as buffets go, nothing special. We did find that the Pizza was pretty good but found it a bit irritable that the free pizza was only available a two hours a day and if you wanted it at any other time you had to have it delivered to wherever you were on the ship for a charge of $5. During the time that pizza was available for free I found that most of the time you had to wait because they never seemed to make enough to keep the line going.

Service We found the service to excellent and all of the crew that we encountered were pleasant and helpful in every way.

Odds and Ends The Sun is an older (12 years) and smaller (1900 passengers) ship. They don't have all of the bells and whistles of the newer vessels like; flat screen tv that you can check your bill on, water slides or climbing walls. But this cruise was more that $1000 cheaper that the next cheapest cruise with a similar itinerary and well worth what we paid. Less

Read more Norwegian Sun cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Sun Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Sun Oceanview Stateroom with Balcony Pool Deck 0001

We had balcony cabin #0001 on deck 10. It was the furthest forward cabin we could find that had the features that we wanted - highest deck with cabins above and below. The cabin was very quiet and being all of the way forward we didn't have to have our time out on the balcony ruined by a smoker upwind. The only down side was that the shower was the smallest in my experience.

Snorkeling

(5)
We booked this trip through a web site called shoretrips.com. Finding the operator at the port was a bit of a problem and took inquiring of about six people before we were steered to the proper people. The excursion was called Sea Turtle Snorkel Plus Lunch. We were escorted to the snorkel sites by Catamaran and the trip itself was well worth the expense. The crew was wonderful and the beverages, including beer and rum punch was included. The crew would even stop and as you if you wanted a refill when they noticed that your cup was empty. The first stop was at a site that had plenty of sea turtles that would come right up to you and let you touch them. What a great experience. The second stop was at a shipwreck site. The one wreck that I went to was clearly visible and I was able to take plenty of photos. One of the snorkelers ever dove down and swam through the wreck.

River Tubing

(5)
Transportation to and from the river was fine, the only exception being the last mile or so down a very rough road. But, I didn't book this for the bus ride. The tubing was outstanding. The guides were very knowledgeable about the area and quite entertaining. The tubing consisted of coasting down the river including many parts that had moderate rapids with several stops to make sure that everyone was together. The guides indicated that they have had guest as young as 2 years and as old as 90.

The island itself is quite beautiful and has a lot of character. I would certainly not mind going there and spending more time there to explore.

Inflatable Watercraft

(5)
The Rhino Rider is an outboard powered inflatable watercraft. It can reach speeds of up to 40mph. These are two person crafts and if you are sharing it one person can pilot on the way to the beach and the other upon the return trip. The guides were very professional and safety conscious as can be expected but still allowed you to open these craft up for a good deal of the time. We went to a bathing suit option beach and spent about 30 minutes there before returning. It was quite the rush. The only reason I could not give this 5plus stars was that the return shuttle was 45 minutes late because another ship arrived in port late and the driver was told to wait. I don't that we should have had to wait because another ship was not on time, let those who are late wait.

Golfing

(3)
I have played this course before and have always been put off by the price. Including clubs it is about $290. The only reason I continue to pay is that it is the only golf on the cruises I have taken. The course itself if nice but not $290 nice. If you are an avid golfer just bite the bullet and pay; otherwise take a pass.