Caribbean Princess Cruise Review by cmofames: Romance and fun at sea

Compare Prices on Caribbean Princess Southern Caribbean Cruises

Romance and fun at sea

Sail Date: February 2013
Destination: Southern Caribbean

We sailed on February 2nd,2013 and invited two couples along to help us celebrate our 5 yr anniversary on the ship where we got married. The crew was fantastic! Whether it was the pool, the casino, your room, or your favorite bar, they remembered your name and made you feel welcome. We wanted to meet the captain who married us but he was down with a sore throat so we never got to see him.

Positives:

We did anytime dining because we are spontaneous travelers. We had no issues with 6 of us getting seated when we ate together and the buffet was good when we chose to eat there. I also finally discovered the little salad/sandwich area in the atrium. You can have excellent chicken salad, shrimp salad, sandwiches and desserts for free 24 hours a day. You can also use this to supply a happy hour treat on your balcony. I think that was a dangerous discovery for my waistline.

First year for express check-in - Woo hoo! Took all of 10 minutes to get on More board.

I am a smoker but I brought along my electronic cigarettes. They worked fine when we did happy hour on the deck. I enjoyed the adult bar where they allow smoking on one side, the cigar bar, and the casino on the 5 nights it was allowed.

We had fun watching the Superbowl under the stars just as we did the night before we got married 5 years ago.

Not as positive:

Attended the Wednesday Platinum party and it was just OK. They invited us for hor'derves but had no clean plates when we got there. Someone dropped the ball on that one. Many of the invited passengers were elderly and waiting around was difficult for them.

Our engine spewed black smoke when we were ready to depart Aruba and we were delayed a couple hours. We weren't too worried though because I think we could handle a couple more days in Aruba. :-) All seemed to get under control though and by dinner time we were on our way with no further issues.

Check-out on princess is a P-I-T-A. We did express checkout so we wouldn't have to lug our bags around. It seems to me that with no bags, you should just saunter out whenever. Our friends said that on Celebrity they just walked off when they were ready. Our leaving was delayed by some luggage ex-ray failure blah blah blah. There seems to always be a delay on Princess at least in my experience.

All in all we had a fantastic time and decided 7 days is just too short. From now on its 10-14 days. p.s. 2 of our traveling companions got engaged while we were at sea. Another reason to celebrate! Less

Read more Caribbean Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Caribbean Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Caribbean Princess Oceanview Double with Balcony Caribe C510

We stayed in C510 on the Caribe deck. It was quiet and we had a one of the largest balconies. Our room attendant was excellent and the room was very clean.

Beach Break

(5.5)
We booked the private island excursion in Aruba and it was our favorite day. Not crowded at all and as much food and drink as you desired. Activities included snorkeling, banana boat rides and a small water slide park. The beach was BEAUTIFUL. We had a great time that passed way too quickly. We got to the island by bus and ferry and it was pretty painless. We were back early enough to do a little shopping before getting back on ship.

The Curacao excursions sold out so the six of us trucked into town on our own. We did some shopping, had a couple cocktails while watching a street band and took pictures. We also got a ferry ride back to our side of town which was fun.
Read 502 Curacao Reviews

Fun is what you make of it and even though I wasn't excited to visit the Princess Cays (again), we did have a great time sunning and dancing to reggae music. Ended up being even more fun than I expected. I didn't eat lunch on the island but part of our party did and they said it was good. I went back to the pool and had a pool-side burger.