Carnival Breeze Cruise Review by lovecruising-22

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Carnival Breeze Cruise Review by lovecruising-22
Carnival Breeze
Carnival Breeze
Member Name: lovecruising-22
Cruise Date: February 2013

Carnival Breeze is a breeze!
After reading so many negative reviews on the Carnival Breeze, I was hesitant to go. After sailing, those reviews were nothing like what I experienced. Everyone has their own opinion, of course, but people do find the smallest things to complain about.

I'm 22 and went on with my parents. This is my fourth cruise. I've been on the Carnival Miracle, Star Princess, Emerald Princess and now the Breeze and I would sail on Carnival again in a second.

We sailed from February 2-10, which was a great time to go. The weather was pretty warm and it was a great escape from snow.

I'm going to write quite a bit about it, so stick in there and read it all because after reading so many negative things, I want to write about my very positive experience.

The pro's:

- Embarkation has never been so easy. We had VIP embarkation and it's definitely the way to go. We were on having a drink and lunch at 12:30.

- I absolutely adored the new look of the Breeze. The decor was so very nice and toned down from the other Carnival ships. The atrium was gorgeous, and I can't say anything bad about any part of the appearance of the ship. It was clean all the time, and had just a nice feeling to it. The layout was great, too. The room hallways were fun to walk down, the walls were decorated like a beach.

- We got an ocean suite and the room was very nice. The colours were soft and again, the decor was very relaxing. Our balcony was huge, definitely the biggest we've had. It had two chairs, a small table and one of those pool lounge chairs. We were on deck 7, midship and it was the perfect place to be. The room had a lot of storage and there was no noise at night.

- Our stewardess, Lidia, was amazing. She was extremely friendly and whenever we needed something, she did it right away with a smile. The towel animals are the best to walk into at night.

- The elevators were busy most of the time, but it wasn't a big deal because we used the steps all the time to burn all of that food off. (Except at the end of the cruise with our luggage).

- I read so many bad things about the food. The food was my favourite part! Everything I tried was delicious. Guy's Burger joint is a must try. Blue Iguana has amazing taco's and burrito's. You have to try the BBQ, which is open only on sea days. I only went to Seadogs once, but regret not going more. They're free and extremely good (and big!).

- We went to the Italian, which if you like Italian, is a must. The servings are huge, though, so order carefully. Workers sang, which is always fun. And it had just a great, friendly atmosphere. Definitely worth the extra money.

- My dad got food from Tandoori and said it was amazing. My mom got sandwiches from the Deli and loved it.Oh also, the 24 hour ice cream was the best thing ever. It was out at times, but with the amount of people on board I wasn't surprised. It made me angry that people left ice cream all over the place, wasting it.

- The pizza place, I heard a few negatives. Yes, there's always a line and it does take a while but it's literally made right in front of you. I prefer that instead of the pizza sitting around. AND it's delicious and hot.

- I actually liked the food in the Lido Marketplace. I ate breakfast there every day and loved the eggs (which I also heard bad things about). The food is like on every ship, so people who pick on the Breeze, saying it's cold and no flavour, yeah it's the same on any other ship. I like it, though. So again, personal preference.

- The food in the main dining room, we ate in the Sapphire dining room, was really good, with the exception of the first night. You have to try the warm chocolate melting cake, I got it every night. My parents and I ended up sitting with 4 other people, and we ended up having a great time with them.

- Some of the entertainment was great! I bought an unlimited ticket for the 5D theater and got the use out of it. The rides were SO fun. And there's a show every 30 minutes so the crowd isn't too bad.

- We saw the Brits and quite enjoyed it. Cool lights and effects and great singing. We also saw, I guess his name was The Edge? He was a juggler. We didn't even plan to go see it, and we went in a few minutes late. He was HILARIOUS, and had a lot of audience participation. That show was the highlight for me. We went to the Hasbro show, which was pretty fun. I love the games they played, so if you enjoy that kind of stuff, you'll love it.

- Waterworks was a lot of fun. I actually went where the kids go, and went under the bucket. It was quite a lot of fun. I didn't go down the slides, but people said they were a blast. I enjoyed the waterworks more than the pools.

- I played mini golf a few times, and it wasn't usually too busy. And the dive-in movies is always great to watch movies on. They give you blankets and you get popcorn. Just what I needed, more food! We were actually on the Superbowl cruise, so that was amazing to watch on the big screen. That was the biggest party night of the whole 8 days.

- I can't give the staff and workers enough credit. They work so hard, nonstop. They were always friendly and always said hello to you with a smile. We had a few stop and chat with us. The people who work at Customer Service are extremely friendly and helped us when we needed it. We were there a lot because of mix up with times for excursions. It was a mess, but they helped us out when we needed to call someone on Antigua for one of our excursions.

- The new electronic system in the room is a great idea. You have to leave your card in there for the lights to work. It's a great way to save energy. Although it did take a while to get use to.

- I don't drink alcohol, but from what I heard from others, the drinks are very good. Although I did get a few strawberry daiquiri's and they were delicious. And you can get quite a few of the drinks without alcohol.

- The casino was fun to go to at times. The only problem is it smells of smoke, because smoking is allowed there. I can't stand smoke so I didn't go often, but the times I did were great.

- The ports of call were great. We went to St. Thomas, Antigua, Tortola and Nassau. I've never been to Tortola and Nassau so for me it was a great itinerary. We had pretty good weather for our three sea days, which made it all the better.

- Butch, our cruise director was very funny. We met him on the Captain's night and he was extremely friendly. On some of the announcement, he did talk a lot but it's always nice to hear what's going on. He had a lot of energy, but unlike other cruise directors you didn't see him around often.

- The shopping was fun and of course we ended up buying quite a bit. Cherry on top was a fun addition, although with the amount of food already on the ship, it wasn't needed. That didn't stop me from going in and buying stuff, though.

- Disembarkation was simple. We moved our luggage ourselves and we were off the ship before 8 AM.

Negatives:

Every cruise ship has some negatives you will point out. And the Carnival Breeze is no different. However, they're small and wouldn't stop me from going on.

- The couch bed in the room is very hard. However, we asked for an extra duvet to put on it and it worked out fine.

- There are too many people on the ship overall. We had about 4200 on our cruise. So in some places, mostly the pool area, it did feel a bit crowded. Although sometimes walking around, there were barely any people around. I have no idea how that happens.

- It's the same on every cruise ship, you need to be up early to get a chair by the pool. I'm not big on sitting in the sun and relaxing, I prefer exploring and walking around, but my mom loves sitting in the sun and seats were hard to find.

- 2 pools on that size of ship is not enough. Either they need another one, or they should be bigger. I didn't swim in the pools, just because so many babies were in there. It kind of grossed me out that the babies were in the pool with diapers.

- Lines pretty much everywhere you go, but surprisingly they do move fast enough before you can really think about complaining.

- The entertainment lacked a bit (The main shows). I absolutely loved the Brits and the HASBRO game show, but they were only 30 minutes and didn't take much of your night up.

- They've removed the Caribbean band by the pool and just play a bunch of different music all week. Some people would have a problem with that, for me it wasn't that big of deal.

- The pizza did take a while. It may bother some people, it didn't bother me as much, though. I was never really in a rush and usually got it at night.

- The main dining room staff didn't really chat with you. On other cruises they usually ask you how your day was and were extremely friendly. The waiters we had were friendly and funny at times, but didn't talk too much. I have to say it isn't their fault, though. They were so busy all the time, it's not surprising they couldn't talk. They were all pleasant and very polite, though.

Again with the main dining room staff, whenever they sang and danced for the entertainment, there was really no energy and it seemed like they didn't want to do it.

For me, most of the negatives are small and wouldn't affect my decision to go back on, but the main dining room staff is probably the biggest negative. I think there needs to be more staff, or less people on the cruise.

So overall, a cruise is what you make of it. I was happy to just be in warm weather on a beautiful cruise ship. Like every cruise ship, there are things you'll love and there will be things you don't like. The positives from this cruise definitely exceed the negatives and I would recommend this ship in a second to anyone.

Our next cruise we're trying Royal Caribbean, though. But I would absolutely love to go back on the Breeze, and if you've read all the bad reviews about it, don't take them too seriously because I was hesitant and this cruise ended up being my favourite one so far. This is my opinion, and you are free to disagree but I had a very positive experience wanted to share it with those hesitating to go on the Breeze. Happy sailing everyone!

Publication Date: 02/17/13