Thomson Majesty Cruise Review by CRUISIN LINDA

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Thomson Majesty Cruise Review by CRUISIN LINDA
Thomson Majesty
Thomson Majesty
Member Name: CRUISIN LINDA
Cruise Date: February 2013
Embarkation: other
Destination: Canary Islands
See More About: Thomson Majesty Cruise Reviews | Canary Islands Cruise Reviews | Thomson Cruises Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: Thomson Majesty Review (by Cruise Critic!)
Fabulous cruise on the Majesty
It is just a review of the ship, but I will do a port review later

We have just come back from Canarian Flavours on the Thomson Majesty. We had a wonderful time and really fell in love with the ship. We had read mixed reviews before we went, but I believe you need to experience something yourself to comment on it.

We stayed overnight at Gatwick and flew at about 11.30. We landed at about 4 o'clock in Tenerife. We put our luggage on the coach and settled in for our 45 minute drive to Santa Cruz. We registered our debit card, had our photo taken and boarded the ship.

We liked the ship straight away. Our cabin was an outside plus on deck 4 and really quite roomy. There were two wardrobes and 12 drawers plus a fridge and safe. There is an American type plug and a European plug over the dressing table. The en-suite is like a wet room. The water pressure in the shower was not as good as mine at home, but I think this is pretty standard in all ships. The tap over the basin was a bit of a mystery, until someone told us to press the red button to get hotter water ('elf&safety!) Strangely it did not seem to give hot water late at night, but was OK the rest of the time. The loo flushed efficiently. We had lovely fluffy white towels changed twice a day and Mary, our cabin steward, made us towel animals several nights. Unfortunately the hairdryer was pretty useless and I would recommend taking your own. There is shampoo and shower gel provided.

We went to the shows almost every night, except on Sunday, when the sea was rough and we went to bed early! The shows were great and even more admirable as the stage is not very big compared to the Dream. We had a comedian on Saturday night -- Les Bryan -- very funny without being smutty! We had an Abba show, a Webber and Rice tribute, Moulin Rouge and Cool Britannia. We didn't really use the Royal Fireworks Lounge, but I believe they had Bingo, quizzes and game-shows in there.

I have heard complaints about no sunbeds round the pool. It doesn't worry us as we like to sit somewhere quiet and read. There is a promenade deck with lots of sunbeds and some room at the back of the ship on deck 8. Also there are sunbeds on the deck above the pool if you wish to take part in the entertainment there.

There is a library and internet access, but didn't use that as having a holiday from computers!

The food was fabulous and I am very fussy! But still some people moaned! We only ate in the dining room on formal night as we found that when we went down about 8 o'clock there were long queues. So we used the buffet, which is nicely set up with tablecloths and flowers on the table, and which I actually preferred as you could eat at your own pace and then secure a seat in the Jubilee Lounge, and here is the main problem with this ship. The Jubilee lounge has lots of seats with obstructed view, so you need to get in early. Also the band "Muzzik Unlimited" played in between shows, so the theatre never really had a point where it emptied out and new people came in. Also, people were allowed to come in once the show had started and wander about looking for seats! I think Thomson should seriously think of making the Majesty two sittings as the Destiny was and that would make it more of a separate time for each show. Also, once the show has started, the doors should be closed and people only allowed in with someone showing them to a seat.

On the day at sea we watched a play performed by some of the show team and I treated myself to a massage which cost £27 which I thought was reasonable . The girl who did it was called Tijana and was very nice. There are also lots of other therapies and hairdressing available.

The band "Muzzik Unlimited" was excellent. The male singer did a wonderful "Gangnam Style" and also Elvis impersonation and the female singer sang "I will always love you" brilliantly -- a very difficult song to sing. There was a classical duo in the Royal Observatory which was quite relaxing.

So all in all a very pleasant holiday and we shall certainly look to going back on this ship.

Publication Date: 02/17/13