Oriana Cruise Review by Trinish

Member Name: Trinish
Cruise Date: January 2013
Embarkation: Southampton
Destination: Canary Islands
See More About: Oriana Cruise Reviews | Canary Islands Cruise Reviews | P&O Cruises Cruise Deals
Public Rooms 5+

Ship Facts: Oriana Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Oriana Deck Plans
Not as good as before & if you are Gluten Free pick Costa
This was our second trip on the Oriana

The embarkation was diabolical this time. We hadn't had the email, that every one else seemed to be talking about, to tell them to arrive at the port later than first arranged. We waited about 3 hours to get on the ship, with no announcement, explaining why we were waiting. We were one of the first in the terminal building, we were given a colour card. Our colour was called a long time after many other colours who had arrived after us .

Once on board there was no lunch, only tea, and it took a long while for the gluten free option to arrive.

A dreadful start to the holiday, thank goodness we aren't diabetic, and expecting a meal at a certain time.

The cabin rattled all night long. Very noisy. We covered the tv with towels overnight to weigh it down a bit, so that stopped that rattle, but the ceiling was impossible to stop.

The constant gelling of hands is very annoying. I believe Noro Virus is spread via the flu jab and people's immune systems being compromised, not by germs. People are old and frail on this ship and don't have strong immune systems. People should look after their own personal hygiene and wash their hands more. The last two cruise I was on P&O Ventura and Costa's Magica, didn't have Noro virus outbreaks and there was no insistence on this constant chemical gel on your hands , it's enough to put you off cruising. We need to build up our own immune systems.

The food wasn't as good as previous years, the gluten free options were nothing like the excellent range offered by Costa. On Costa Magica, I had GF pasta, pizza, lasagne and some wonderful breads and bread sticks. Pick up your game P&O chefs. Infact the Costa Magica has tables reserved at lunch with Gluten Free signs and special menu's. So well organised.

I think the Duo played nice music, but the Ten group was very boring. Royal Caribbean have a band Rock the Boat, now that's excellent entertainment. I'm not a fan of Violin music either, I sat through both nights, but the second night the theatre was only half full, obviously he is not that popular.

I went to the library daily, but there was a fellow guest tapping away on his lap top, how annoying, when there is a Cyber cafe, and he could have gone there to make the noise. The librarian should really have monitored that better. He was a lovely lad, but maybe didn't have the authority to eject a noisy selfish passenger.

There was plenty of outside seating on the sun decks around the pools. I enjoyed a game of tennis and walking around the promenade deck.

Ports were fine, but Casablanca was dire. I didn't enjoy going there at all. I wanted to see more markets and not hear from the guide that the Moroccans like being tipped, and that tipping is encouraged in their country.

Our waiters Paul and Arnie were very attentive. Jacob, tried his best to get me some Gluten Free cakes, and by the end of the cruise managed it, well done Jacob and thank you.

We are booked on Azura next year, and hope that some of these comments will have been read and improvements made.

Publication Date: 02/17/13