Viking Sun Cruise Review by bethpm: A delightful River Cruise on the Rhine

A delightful River Cruise on the Rhine

Sail Date: April 2011
Destination: Europe - River Cruise
Embarkation: Other

I have long been remiss in writing this review as we cruised on the Viking Sun almost a year ago. As they say, better late than never. We have cruised on Viking twice. The first time was for the Christmas Markets along the Danube on the Viking Pride. The only way I could describe that trip was magical. It snowed everyday and each day was a wonderland. We didn't even feel the cold as each turn presented a new joy and experience. It was superb.

So, several months later, we booked Treasures of the Rhine on the Viking Sun.
Again, words cannot describe the joy of a Viking Cruise. I did not think anything could top our first cruise, but in many ways this cruise did. For beginners, it was 15 days on the Rhine and we saw so many wonderful cities and villages. In Cologne, we were paired with an incredible guide who took us to the Cathedral. It was Easter morning and the medieval chimes were in full glory. They only use them six times a year as they are the original More medieval chimes. Pure and simply, it brought me to my knees. I can still hear it in my mind. We did an excursion to Lucerne which was magnificent. Brugge was a picture book, the windmills unsurpassed. The Keukenhof Gardens were a sea of tulips. The list goes on and on and none disappointed.

The Sun was warm, cozy and welcoming because of the incredible staff. We started as strangers and left as friends. No request was too big or too small. On our first night, I asked the waiter for unsweetened tea. He said they normally served sweetened tea, but would brew me some. I was amazed. For the remaining 13 nights, he appeared magically with my unsweetened tea. Try getting that kind of service on a ship with 3000 passengers.

I have never seen a staff work together so well and the captain was right there with them. It was simply amazing. Viking is definitely worth the money. Put it on your bucket list.

I think it is a shame, they no longer offer this cruise, but they do offer a shorter cruise called the Rhine Getaway. It does hit the highlights and I have heard good things about that cruise. Now, we are looking at Paris and the Heart of Normandy. I get goose bumps just planning it. Less

Read more Viking Sun cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Viking Sun Review >>

Cabin review: Viking Sun

We were in an A cabin. It was definitely worth the extra money as you had french balcony and could enjoy opening on sunny days.