Wind Star Cruise Review by Travel Man33: Windstar Panama Canal - dissapointing

Windstar Panama Canal - dissapointing

Sail Date: January 2013
Destination: Panama Canal & Central America
Embarkation: Other

The ship, while old, I'd well maintained and clean. The food was pretty good, except for lunch.

The crew are very nice, professional and take good care of you. The ship is just smaller than I expected and gave you few places to find shade on the main deck. There is no entertainment, so you are best if you go with a group of friends or family and you intend to party on your own.

The passengers were older, on average than I expected. I would guess the average age was probably 70. After dinner, other than listening to a piano player who sings poorly, not much to do. The casino has slots and two game tables. Only the blackjack is open. Most nights, I played with may be two other players. The blackjack tournament was fun. The second was cancelled, because only 5 people showed up.

The stops were not very good. The first In Drakes Bay was the best. People went zip lining and we took a small boat out into surrounding area and saw lots of dolphins and actually saw a More humpback whale with two babies.

The next stop was Golfito Bay in Costa Rica. Terrible stop. They basically advised you against swimming in the water. Not sure why. The tour we went on was tragic. We went to a garden that was probably one acre. Next they took us to a wildlife refuge/rescue center. What a joke, 4 animals all in cages.

The next day we went to a small island off the coast of Panama. There was a beach barbecue, I have gone to better events at inner city pools. For a supposed small luxury ship, it was hot dogs and burgers in a small pavilion. Just a few cheap plastic chairs. Could not wait to get back on the ship.

The next day was at sea. The highlight was the next day going thru the Panama Canal. That was pretty good. The next day we went to a tiny, tiny island off the east coast of Panama. It was no larger than a football field. It had palm trees and most of the beach was unsuitable. Windstar only provided 6 oz bottles of water, two hours after you were on this fly Speke.

That night we sailed and once out of the ind block of the Island, the bat rocked unmercifully.

I was never so glad to get off at Colon.

Couple of suggestions. Do not buy the alcohol package. Way overpriced at $ 100 per day. Make sure you book a dinner on the top deck. Go for early in the week if you start in Costa Rica. Late in the week if you start in Colon. Less

Read more Wind Star cruise reviews >>