Disney Magic Cruise Review by meiselt

Member Name: meiselt
Cruise Date: February 2013
Embarkation: Galveston
Cabin Category: 9D
See More About: Disney Magic Cruise Reviews | Western Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Disney Cruise Deals
        Under 3 5.0
        3-6 3.0

Ship Facts: Disney Magic Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Disney Magic Deck Plans
Disney not the best afterall.
To be fair, I will put the good parts of the cruise first:

The shows were very nice and well done. The singers were awesome and I was really impressed that some of the Disney dancers actually had some meat on there bones and weren't complete toothpicks. I really give them a hand for this! The stage props and effects were awesome and we really liked the fireworks, etc.

Most of the staff were very pleasant, but obviously overworked.

The bad:

The lines for lunch were crazy. The buffet was only open until 2 pm- One day, we got in line at 1:45 and the drink machine was already shut down by the time we got to the end. The dessert bar and salad bar was already empty. There were still about 20 people in line behind us as well! While we were eating our lunch, a worker was gathering salt and pepper shakers off the tables and grabbed ours up! While we were eating! I couldn't believe it. The hot food was almost always cold and the breads were stale.

We wanted to eat at the buffet another day for lunch and it was already closed. (we had the 8:15 seating, so we wanted to eat lunch late) So, we went to the 'alternate' lines, which were hot dogs, hamburgers, pizza, tacos, chicken fingers, and some fancy sandwiches with really hard, stale bread. The lines were really crazy for these because they were the only places to eat at times.

At dinner, the food was mostly ok, but I almost always left feeling slightly hungry still because the portions weren't very big. (I am not a large person either!) Service was SLOW... I don't believe this was our waitstaff's fault. They had too many people to take care of. It took us over an hour to eat our meals because we had wait so long for the food. When you have an impatient 2 year old at the table, you want the food as soon as possible!

We were celebrating my son's birthday on board and I was told he would get a little birthday cake with 'happy birthday' on it. Instead, he got a little chocolate cake that wasn't any different from anything else they had. :( I was disappointed by this.

Room service- stale pastries. :( Again, another disappointment on the food.

The 'kiddie' pool had kids that should have been in the bigger pool instead of splashing around with the under 5's. They were rough and made me nervous with my kids. The lines to see the characters were very long and would take about 20-30 minutes to get through. I wouldn't have done it at all if my daughter wasn't so insistent.

The ship almost always felt crowded- except in the adult area.

No adults are allowed on the one slide on board btw.

The nursery for my son was nice and the staff were very good with him. It wasn't as overcrowded as the Oceaner's Lab and Club. They should put some occupancy limits on those. They were so overcrowded that I was worried about my daughter being in there. She did have a blast for a 4 year old and got to sing on the stage in a small performance they put on. She had a blast, so that's the only saving grace.

Overall, I would only go on Disney again if I got a REALLY, REALLY good deal because I was very disappointed. Especially after everyone told me how great it was. I had better experience on Carnival. :)

Publication Date: 02/15/13