Rhapsody of the Seas Cruise Review by FirstandLast: First and Last time I go on a Cruise!!!!!

FirstandLast
Member Since 2013

Compare Prices on Rhapsody of the Seas South Pacific Cruises

First and Last time I go on a Cruise!!!!!

Sail Date: February 2013
Destination: South Pacific
Embarkation: Sydney (Australia)

It all started with 4 women checking into a "4 Berth" cabin.....Ha! Not even 4 2yr olds could have fit comfortably in this room. Request for another room (2 berth......which happens to be the exact same size as the 4 berth!), initially cost quote was $400 each! (WHAT!) After much negotiating, which included tears and many hours of pleading, I managed to get the cost down to $150 each - not a great start but at least we can breath a little better.
The ship is small and supposedely boast millions of dollars of refurbishments... where? Pools (only 2) were very small and one in particular was taken up with screaming kids (and on some occassions adults), don't even think about swimming or doing any laps!
The food in the Windjammer (buffet) was very average and after the 3rd day becomes almost inedible... especially after I discovered insects crawling around in the brown sugar that I had topped my porridge with....YUK!!!! My compensation for this? Free lunch or dinner......I More don't think so!!!!
The extra costs for certain things was just ridiculous - no irons or ironing facilities are provided but you can have you items pressed for a "small" fee, ha! This cost me $70! Want real coffee and not the watered down dirt that they try and pass off for coffee available free in the buffet area, well this will cost you - there is a 'starbucks' type cafe, here goes another $50 for the 10 days (I craved something tasty and 'safe')! Soft drinks are not free either, so if you have kids or enjoy sodas, bring an extra couple of hundred dollars. Internet - there is no free Wi-Fi available, expect to pay at least .70c a minute to access internet (that's if it works for you!).
Any free activities and shows become very repetitive, all other onboard activities you must pay for, eg: Bingo!
Off shore activities are very expensive especially when pre booked on the ship and not worth while - most things you can do back home and probably at a lower cost with a better experience. The islands visited were very expensive and nothing exciting to see or do.
Main pool bar closes by midnight where you are directed to the "nightclub" for those that want to continue "partying" which then promptly closes at 1.30am!!! Party ship its not!
Lack of communication was a major issue as well - passengers either had to read up on daily events via a newsletter or seek out any information via the main desk, and even then did not always get either the correct information or staff did not always have the answers! Too bad if english was your 2nd language!
This was a complete disappointment and total waste of money for me - it's an "experience" I would rather forget - I don't think I would ever book another cruise again........I would much rather keep my feet on the ground! Less

Read more Rhapsody of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Rhapsody of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Rhapsody of the Seas Interior Stateroom Deck 2

Tiny cabin, no fridge, no (free) ironing facilities, TV program selection very poor.