Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review by hapa007: Awesome First Time Cruise

Member Since 2013

Compare Prices on Oasis of the Seas Western Caribbean Cruises

Awesome First Time Cruise

Sail Date: February 2013

I've never done a cruise before and this was a great first time experience. This year my husband turns the bi 5-0 and I turn 40. We decided to go big and do it right and I think we made the right choice. We went with another couple which worked out really well and we didn't bring any kids! This was a great way to spend quality time with each other and no kids (2, 4 and 6) to monitor.

PROS
1. Labadee was a surprise. I thought I would go on land just to say i went to Haiti, but it was the most relaxing of the three stops. It was laid back and clean. The vendors were locals but the drink people and food service was provided by the ship. We just hung out on the beach and relaxed under a palm tree.
2. My Time Dining was great! Make sure you do MTD on Wed. It's caribbean lobster and prime rib night. Make sure you are on deck 5 of the Opus dining room in the middle "island", on the left. The waiter should be Anthony Diaz. He was awesome! We had someone else More initially but once we experienced Anthony, we couldn't have anyone else.
3. "Bar Guy" If you're a liquor drinker, you'll be serviced by Bjorn Willilams. He is awesome! He would find us on deck when we were by the pool and he knew exactly what we wanted. He was our go to guy. The drinks on ship are generously poured. No watering down!
4. House Keeping is great! I swear they wander up and down the hall to get in your room the minute you leave. Everytime we came back no matter what time of day, our bed would be made. Even if you put a Do NOT DISTURB sign up and you weren't there, they would still come in just to empty the rubbish cans. I don't know if this was a good thing or not.
5. FOOD - The Windjammer was good. Great for buffet style. They offered a good selection of different types of food. Skip the deserts though...not so good. We always went at weird times when they were open so we never experienced the crowds that are mentioned in other reviews.
6. You definitely need to go to the Cafe in Central Park...the roast beef sandwich is really good. Salads are good to. I really liked all the sandwiches they served on the ship. You can't go wrong.
7. For specialty dining, I didn't go to Chops, but my husband did. He said the filet was good but he's had better. We also went to the Solarium for dinner. Unexpectedly AWESOME! I don't think people know to go there for dinner because it was empty. We went there the last night and I wish we went there earlier. I would have gone there several times! My husband had the bison and it was EXCELLENT. I wish I got that too. The ceviche was REALLY GOOD. I've eaten in several high end restaurants in the US and this was really good. I totally recommend it.

CONS
1. Donuts - don't go there. They're not good.
2. Italian Food - No matter where I had it, in the Windjammer or in the MDR, it was not good...and I REALLY like Italian food. Less

Read more Oasis of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Oasis of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Oasis of the Seas Superior Oceanview Stateroom with Balcony Deck 6 11620

I guess it's all of what you make it. We went to the shopping area where the sales people are VERY AGGRESSIVE. It took about 1/2 hour before I wanted to go back to the ship. If you don't know your jewelry, DON'T BUY anything. They will try and sell you anything and everything at whatever kind of quality. In regard to cigars, you better know your stuff. You can find a $30 Cohiba then next door they'll sell you 2 for $10. Don't listen to them about labels and what makes theirs genuine. They're most likely all fake. Also, if you get an $8 free cab ride to the shopping area, get a second one. The cabs will take one to return even if they say they don't. All they'll do is turn it in to whoever and get their $8. They don't report if they took someone to the shops or returned them to port.
Read 3123 Cozumel Reviews

The port itself was cute. Easy to locate shops and everything was well organized and clean. We did a catamaran excursion to montego bay with snorkel. It was a joke! Don't do it. I think it's $99 a person. Not what we expected based on the description. We took a 45 min drive to Montego Bay, got on the catamaran and literally, went out 100 ft to the snorkel area. I could have swam to shore. The snokeling was not good. I could see only about 15ft ahead of me and the fish and reef was not anything to write home about. I don't think this area is meant for snokeling. Save your money. The description led you to believe that you were going on a 45 min catamaran ride to a snorkel area where you get to spend about 45 min. Then cruise Montego Bay and stop over for lunch and shopping. Get back on the catamaran then return to port. All about 5 1/2 hours. Very misleading.
Read 486 Falmouth Reviews

Unexpectedly relaxing. Not what I was thinking. It was clean and well maintained. It is a Royal Caribbean property with staff and food provided by the ship. Organized. Good experience.
Read 366 Labadee Reviews