Celebrity Constellation Cruise Review by PomLove: Mediocre food, great overall

Member Since 2012

Compare Prices on Celebrity Constellation Western Caribbean Cruises

Mediocre food, great overall

Sail Date: February 2013

We loved this cruise and may even cruise on the constellation again. The cabins were a good size (for being inside cabins). The shower was quite large actually, and the bathroom included spa quality products. This is great bc I hate those shampoo/body wash dispensers that are on cruise lines like NCL and Carnival. We also had bathrobes in our closet when we arrived. We were on deck 3 and our cabins were not available on embarkation day until about 2pm. This was annoying bc we had gotten on board around 11:30 am, and we were lugging our large suitcase around. We had arrived via taxi from our parking lot and somehow we missed all the porters, so we were stuck with our case. We didn't think it was a big deal until we saw how long it took to get into our rooms. Oh we'll.

this ship is in great shapes, for being over 10 years old. Some of the bedding and towels were well worn, but that didn't bother me. Speaking of towels, I hate it on other cruise lines when they protect pool More towels like gold-making you sign towels out or bring them to and from your cabin. On Celebrity, there are towels everywhere - yay! I don't want to steal their towels, I just want to go to the pool and have towels there to use. It is too much to ask for on all other cruise lines, but not on Celebrity. The solarium pool is adults only and awesome! There is a towel on each pool chair when u arrive, and rolled towels in corners around the room. Also there are men's and women's saunas in the bathroom in the solarium area. There is also a "spa cafe" in that area, but they never seemed to have anything good there. We avoided the craziness of the main pool by staying in the solarium pool. We went every day after breakfast, and there were few people there. Later in the day though, it would be packed.

The buffet was large and had several different stations. I like how there were servers behind the buffet line that would scoop your food for you. We ate at the pasta station about everyday. It wasn't the greatest, but there wasn't much at the buffet that interested us. I'm not into salads, but they seemed to have a large salad setup. The pizza was crappy, no pizza can compare to Princess of course. They have the absolute best pizza at sea. So the only good things at the buffet were meatballs from the pasta station, and bread pudding. Also, the drink machines were not working properly. I got fruit punch from the apple juice machine at breakfast, and several others were marked as out of order. My husband tried some of the pastries at breakfast but they were so bland. We got egg white omelets every morning for breakfast. They cook them with so much oil, it almost defeats the purpose of trying to have one healthy entree each day. I asked her to use less oil the next day, and she seemed determined to make a point that it wouldn't flip properly. It was broken into several pieces, and I believe she was pleased with herself. They had an ice cream scooping station. I got it several times and it wasn't that great.

They had a tea time, but we didn't attend. There was a "nominal charge" for it, and we never found out exactly what that would be and what would be included. The last sea day, there was a Brunch in the main dining room. This was attended by many, and it was fun. I really couldn't stand another buffet breakfast, so it was nice to switch it up. There were stations, and some of the food was the same as the buffet but there was different tuff too, including crepes.

The MDR was pretty bad. I can't think of anything I really enjoyed there, except the creme brulee(reoccurring dessert). The food was so plain and just blah. It didn't even sound good on the menu. We went 4 out of 5 nights so we could get the creme brulee. The last two nights I just got the sirloin steak from the reoccurring menu bc there was nothing interesting on the daily menu. They were just okay. I don't mean to complain so much, but we are foodies. We love to eat, and that is one of our favorite parts of cruising. We were so disappointed with the food all around the ship, especially since we took a Princess cruise in December, and were served gourmet food all day every day.

So besides the food - this really was a great cruise. The staff was so friendly, every where we went, we were greated warmly. The gym had really nice new equipment, but I hadn't brought my sneakers so we didn't workout. If I went again, I would bring them bc the gym was so nice and almost no one was there.

One more complaint - we booked an excursion, then it was cancelled the night before. We inquired about another excursion the morning of Cozumel, and that one had also been cancelled. When we got ashore, u could only book snorkeling tours or take a taxi to downtown shopping. I wanted to go to the San Gervasio ruins and the beach. We ended up renting a car. It was almost $100 plus gas. It ended up working out okay for the ruins, but we just drove past the beach since we were tired. We also drove downtown for shopping. U have to use parking meters with pesos.

The productions shows were excellent. Our favorite was the last night, celebrate the World. They had dances, costume and scenery depicting counties from all around the world. I also loved the show the first night, The Land of Make Believe.

All in all, it was a great Caribbean cruise, with excellent service and facilities. Just don't get your hopes up about the food. Less

Read more Celebrity Constellation cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Constellation Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Constellation Inside Stateroom Vista Deck (7) 3049

Large shower. Safe was broken but we had it fixed for us. Bed was very hard and I wanted an extra blanket but could never find one.

We wanted to do a sightseeing tour that included the ruins and beach. The one we booked through the ship was cancelled, and we could only book snorkeling tours once ashore. We rented a car but it was very expensive and we never made it to the beach. Ruins were $8 per person for entrance.
Read 3107 Cozumel Reviews

Not much offered here and we were incessantly bothered by locals once we steeped outside the port enclosure. I felt bad for the people. There was a young boy, maybe 13 years old. He was trying tot raise money for his school books, so he said. He kept lol owing us around, trying to help us to the beach. We hopped in a taxi and gave him $5 for "helping". I was happy to give him a tip, but I would have rather not taken the taxi to the beach, and just returned to the ship for lunch.
Read 1647 Roatan Reviews