Carnival Legend Cruise Review by Erik_On_The_High_Seas

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Carnival Legend Cruise Review by Erik_On_The_High_Seas
Carnival Legend
Carnival Legend
Member Name: Erik_On_The_High_Seas
Cruise Date: January 2013
Embarkation: Tampa
Cabin Category: 8C

1/27/13 -- a second time on the Legend
I'd sailed on the Legend in 2007 on basically the same itinerary, so I can expand upon some observations from that last cruise & note what's changed since then.

**Embarkation**

Getting on the ship was way too easy. Since this was my 10th time on Carnival, I'd been granted Platinum status, so I was diverted into a separate room where a person sitting at a desk, rather than a person standing at the end of a very long line, gave me my keys and so forth.

However, neither of my checked bags appeared at my room in the evening. I found one down the hall in front of the wrong room, and for the other, a note from Security indicated that I needed to pick it up from their office. Apparently Carnival now likes to search bags that produce X-ray images of glass bottles. This is everyone's official reminder to smuggle booze in plastic bottles. Those didn't get confiscated.

**The Cabin**

The cabin, like much of the ship, was getting toward looking pretty beat up. Stains on carpet, chipped furniture, a 15-inch tube-TV, and a the most uncomfortable mattress than I ever remembered on a ship. It was nice to have the balcony to vent out that certain Carnival cleaning agent aroma that I recall from just about every cruise... except during times when the prevailing wind kept everyone smoking habit forced up against my cabin. Regardless of cabin upkeep, my cabin attendant was excellent about keeping everything as neat and clean as possible, as well as maintaining my cooler full of ice, for there were plastic bottles needing a good chilling.

**Around the ship**

Some graffiti and etchings here and there and some general wear, but generally OK. Plenty of deck space, and I liked the Serenity adults area with the hammocks and large round chairs. Odd waterslide -- most of the people got stuck on it, with the exception of one guy in my group who crashed into the barrier at the conclusion of it and broke his toe. Slide briefly closed due to blood in water.

Casino was xtra smokey, and the craps crew needed close supervision as they had a decidedly non-Vegas way of tracking come bets, as well as calculating payoffs.

Occasional bad smells, particularly in the aft section of Deck 7, where a maintenance crew was snaking some plumbing and there appeared to be a bit of overflow.

BTW, I still have no idea why the nightclub is called "Medusa," for that's not a nice way to portray the female patrons therein.

** Feeding time **

We had a group of about 100 and were patiently waited on, even when dressed in pirate attire. My favorite waiter was Jefferey who would even remember all our names when he'd run into us during the day out and around the ship. For mass-produced food, Carnival continues to do a decent job in getting it made and to the table.

Chinese lunch on Lido was excellent, and room-service roast beef and rubens certainly fulfilled their purposes.

** Fun times **

Entertainment guy Bruce led a fun deck party after we'd left Roatan. Piano Bar and the aforementioned Medusa disco were pretty dead -- except when our group showed up. Perhaps this was because...

** The Fellow Cruisers **

A Carnival staffer told us that our group brought the average age of this cruise *down* to 55. I saw only a few kids, and outside of our group, only a handful of 20-to-40-somethings. I'd say 90% of the passengers were 50+, and most went to bed pretty early.

** Sick ship? **

In our group, 10% came down with a gastro illness of the awful simultaneously-double-exiting variety, and 80+% picked up a respiratory illness. I got the latter on the final days, which I called the Carnival Kennel Cough. Some people's developed into full-on fever & flu, and one member of our group says he's *still* feeling crappy. I'm wondering if the gastro and respiratory problems were common among other passengers from this and other Legend cruises. While cutting through Deck 1 to avoid post-Cayman-tender elevator congestion, I saw something disturbing outside of some rooms -- room service trays wrapped in red biohazard bags. I also saw a ship officer berating a cabin attendant about doing a better job of scrubbing railings with some sort of sanitizing agent. And the guy who came on the final day to check my room's minibar was wearing a Jacksonesque surgical mask. Hmmm.

** All told...***

My fun group and our great times onboard and ashore (the topic for another forum posting) made up for the shorcomings and sickenesses I'd described. I don't know that I'd sail the Legend again until she's refurbished, or at least gets a really deep sterilization. Plus perhaps some new mattresses.

Publication Date: 02/12/13