Celebrity Reflection Cruise Review by Esideirish: Lucky #13 cruise

Member Since 2012

Compare Prices on Celebrity Reflection Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Lucky #13 cruise

Sail Date: February 2013

We flew in the day before and stayed at a Courtyard by Marriott in the West Doral area. The next day we took a shuttle to port. $12.00 per person and worked out fine. We zipped through the process and got on the ship. We were handed a cocktail and the vacation began. We had booked Aqua Spa class as it was my husbands birthday and he likes saunas and the gym. We never used it once! Husband's hip was acting up! So much for that idea. I loved the free tea,water and the free bottle of wine and fruit and h'orderves. we wanted to eat in Blu so it was still worth it as far as I'm concerned. I am a Celiac and must eat gluten free and had heard good things about Celebrity. I can't have wheat,rye or barley so buffets are a problem. I asked a chef walking around the Ocean cafe and his name was Malcolm and he said I should speak with Viktor. He did tell me that all the soups were thickened with rice flour and gave me some more choices. I was walking by and happened to over hear a woman asking More about gluten free and it turned out to be Viktor. I introduced myself a he was fantastic! He called Blu and told them to have gluten free cheese cake for me that night. It was great, the only sad part was I only saw him one more time and didn't get to thank him with a tip. Don't know where they had him the rest of the trip. I did give him a shout out on my comment card.
Blu:
Husband would have been content in main dinning room but I liked it. The only problem I had was they didn't always remember to bring my gf bread. All of the cruise ships that now offer the bread have promptly brought it to my table. I had to ask several times and it wasn't that good so I just skipped the calories. It is a shame the cruise lines don't have better gf bread as there are some fantastic options they could use.
I had some wonderful options as they could usually convert dish to be gluten free but sometimes not so much. I have always wanted to try soft shell crab but that is deep fried and battered with wheat flour so the non flour option was horrible! Yikes, I wanted to spit it out! Of course didn't!
All in all it was the best food on a cruise yet!
Some people have said they ran into rude workers but everyone was wonderful.
Entertainment:
We thought it was good some was fantastic but none was bad. We enjoyed dancing in the Grand Foyers, the band was great and the four a cappella guys were unbelievable.
It rained one afternoon so we went to the wine tasting but that wasn't exactly what we thought it would be. We have been to one before and they poured the wine and talked about it but we were handed sheets to rate the wine while you were moving to different stations and we really didn't learn too much except how hard it is too write down anything on a flimsy sheet of paper with a small pencil while moving around with a glass of wine in one hand!
Pools:
Very lovely but surprised by how small they were. Chairs were no problem to find except on last day but we did find some a little further away from the pools. Only did the Solarium on last day and it was beautiful but crowded too.Cabin
Aqua spa cabin was lovely and our room steward, Ozy was always smiling and kept the room immaculate. They could have made the sofa a bit smaller and had more floor space by closet for my shoes that wouldn't fit in the closet. I even brought less shoes too!
And ladies if your like a hairdryer from the 21st century bring yours because it's the same 1200w that's on all the cruise ships and most hotels too. Somebody get at least a 1500w and then you've made my day and I can leave mine at home and could bring more shoes.
All in all it's a pretty fantastic ship and we'll be back. Less

Read more Celebrity Reflection cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Reflection Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Reflection 1627

Aqua Spa cabin 1627 deck 11. Very quiet Port side aft, a bit further back but we liked it.