Carnival Glory Cruise Review by ReverendVW: Forgetting the real world for 7 days

ReverendVW
Member Since 2012

Compare Prices on Carnival Glory Western Caribbean Cruises

Forgetting the real world for 7 days

Sail Date: February 2013

Six people from Spokane, WA, embarked on a trip for the western Caribbean out of Miami for 7 days on the glory. I have to say, that from my previous experience with carnival, I was apprehensive about ho it would turn out. I am glad I went, I had a wonderful time.

The 2.0 upgrades, were clean, and bright. Guy's burgers, was a good burger, but personally, I can get a burger anywhere at home. Plus, the tile walking near it was slippery 24hrs a day, so be careful. especially around the condiments.

The breakfast burritos, and taco bar, was delicious. I was upset that they shut it down at 3pm, only because I would love one of those tacos at late night.

The boat was in great shape, I only saw them make one repair the whole time, and honestly, i think it was because some drunk ass broke the railing. I found the glory a bit more difficult in getting around, and wished the serenity deck was bigger (always full). during the day, I still saw kids on the serenity More deck.

The lido deck had a goofy sailboat theme to it.

The service was good, but could have been better. We chose a "cave room" due to the fact, that last trip we only slept and changed in it. The bed we had was worn, but we put up with it. our room guy never got the room turned down before 8pm. The dining staff was slow to humor at first, but made up for it after a couple days getting to know us. Our waiter even pole danced, was funny. The general staff on board could do a better job at moving aside for the paying customer, but at least they smiled and made jokes.
Overall I enjoyed the boat.

Now, onto the excursions.
I did the Mexican cuisine in Cozumel, I was hesitant at first, but afterwards, would highly recommend it. Playa mia was a great beach, and the class was fun. The wife only had 3 margarita's and could barely keep her eyes straight, so be careful!

Costa Maya, chacchoben ruins. The tour was ok. bus ride was only an hour each way, and the guide ends up selling you local made trinkets on the bus....for cheap...buy them...they are cool. the beach they bring you to, was great, the staff were awesome. I tipped one guy $20 for all 6 of us, and he kept bringing us "orange juices" by the ride home, everybody was in great spirits,and it became karaoke on the bus.

Roatan. I love this place, and will fly down for a week at some point. did the canopy tour/tabyana beach. Folks, on the whole trip, if you want to snorkel, you either go to tabyana, or barrier reef snorkel in cayman. tabyana is great for snorkel, and the 17+ ziplines ending in gumbalimba, were great. there is a small local vendor there to buy jewelry, that we had to hit up after getting turquoise turtle earrings last trip for $8.

Cayman. difference between black beard rumcake and tortuga rumcake. Quantity vs quality. we bought both. I did beginner scuba. got stuck with Argentines that couldn't understand the class, made the excursion suck very badly. wife did the seatrek dive, and had a blast.

Overall. I'm glad i gave carnival a second chance, they showed me their good side. I compare this trip with the identical trip i did in April on the legend. The legend is old, and tired, and gaudy, but after sailing the glory, I see now it had 2 things going for it.
1.) super easy to get around on the legend
2.) The staff acted like they knew the ship was old and ugly, and went out of their way to make up for it. I did not get the same level of service on the glory.

The only thing to ad, is we had a horror story involving all six of u, and Delta airlines both coming out, and going back home. and not one of us will ever fly with those F***ing jerks again. Less

Read more Carnival Glory cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Glory Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Glory Interior Riviera 1447

Noisy room when docking maneuvers. No clock in the room is a problem. You really have no sense of time without your own alarm. the bed in 1447 needs swapped out, and I can't figure out why there was foot prints on the ceiling first day? In relation to your dining room, and the comedy club, and lido access, the rear rooms are awesome. just a few steps to the elevator/stairs and a few decks up.

Chacchoben Mayan Ruins

(4)

Culinary Tour

Scuba - Beginner

(2)
Great instruction by Reid. The dive was fun, but our time was cut short by 2 members of the class, not speaking english. the time and energy spent in dealing with those two, cut our dive short. I had approx 2k psi before blowing my BCD at surface to get out, and that included the 20+ minutes of air wasted in the pool while they tried to understand what he was telling them. It's tough to be negative, because Reid is a nice guy, and good enough instructor to get though a serious language barrier to teach two people to scuba. My opinion, he should have cut them from the class.

Sea Trek

(5.5)
My wife tred snuba last trip, and never made i past 4feet. this was perfect for her. She came back beaming with delight at all the antics of the diver's. I would recommend this for any non-scuba type people.

Read 1643 Roatan Reviews