Carnival Legend Cruise Review by lmorto02: Legend~older but nice

Compare Prices on Carnival Legend Western Caribbean Cruises

Legend~older but nice

Sail Date: February 2013
Embarkation: Tampa

We just returned from our third Carnival Cruise. This time we did not choose the ship, only the cruise, as it was a special Beach Music Cruise, which involved about 450 guests along with several beach bands & DJ's. I read many reviews, & there were a lot of negatives. However, I feel as though if one looks for only the negatives, that is all you will see. The Legend is one of the older ships, I believe was built in 2002. So, I will mentioned some of the items first that could probably be improved upon: 1). The balcony windows were somewhat dirty, even after they were "cleaned". It did not obstruct our view, but just made it a little fuzzy to look through them. 2). The in-room speakers for overhead announcements did not work, & we would have to open the door to listen. 3). I believe the ship may be up for refurbishing this year, which is good, as various upgrades need to be done~need flat screen TV's in the room & could use the large screen movie projector out front.4). The water More slide is kind of out of the way, & it doesn't go into a pool. That could be reworked a little better. 5). I would LOVE for there to be more than 1 plug in!! Next time I will remember & bring an extension. That's essentially all of the negatives for the ship.

I will say that the food was wonderful! We only ate in the dining room once, & chose to utilize the buffet & grills for the rest of the time. Sometimes the food did not look like it would be good, but it always was! There is not one thing I can say about the food! There are enough choices that everyone should be able to find what they like. It was always hot & fresh, or cold & crisp. I will also say that overall the ship was kept very clean. Someone was always right there to take your dirty dishes & wipe everything down. We could see them all throughout the night scrubbing down the grills & cleaning up spills & such. The pools were sparkling.

We only saw one show in the Follies lounge & that was Justin Illusion & it was great! We also did not visit any of the bars/clubs, as we had something special going on with the beach music crowd each evening. The staff was always very attentive & courteous.

We had no trouble at all with embarkation & debarkation. We actually arrived before 12pm, & only waited a few minutes before we were able to go in, & our room was ready! On debarkation, we did the self assist. We docked at 8am, and we were off of the ship by 10am & all went smoothly.

I am not a fan of the tendering process. Unfortunately there is no good answer to this, except to only go to ports that don't require it. I would also say that it is a good idea to do your research about the various ports & what there is to do there~mostly by reading Trip Advisor, so that you at least have a plan, even if you don't do an excursion. If you aren't prepared, you really have no idea which way to go, who to trust, or what to do & you will ramble around.

For future cruises, I will continue to do my research on the ships & ports. I would probably not choose the Legend again, as I have been on more updated ships & did prefer more of what they had to offer & the layout, but otherwise, this was a great cruise & we had a wonderful experience! Carnival is known for it's lesser costs, but I feel that they still give it their all to make sure you are happy, well fed, and have a great time. Less

Read more Carnival Legend cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Legend Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Legend Balcony Verandah 7238

quiet location, great view. 1 plug in

Tender port, which I don't care for. The port area itself is crowded with all the shops, & many people trying to sell you things. The water around the pier/dock stays stirred up & murky & the immediate area is somewhat dirty. It is also known to be unsafe outside of the walls, & unless you are with a guide, you shouldn't be outside alone. We were here last year & went to Belize City, & spent some time on the private beach with volleyball & a water slide, which we found to be quite fun! There was only a few people there, so we really had a nice time. This time, we just shopped around, then back to the ship

Love being able to dock & walk off~no tendering! The port area is very clean. We actually had to use a dentist for an emergency tooth problem (my husband's bridge came out!). This we were concerned about, but taking the advice of the crew, we went to CostaMedical/dental & was very pleasantly surprised! The place was very clean & very low cost & they took excellent care of us! We were then able to go to Senor Frogs, for a special Beach Music Cruise party with open bar! This was wonderful! There was a little mini beach right there that you could swim in & snorkel. We chose to sit in the sun & have a few drinks. Afterward, we shopped a little then returned to the ship.
Read 3117 Cozumel Reviews

Another tender port, but not bad. The area is very clean, but very commercialized. We took a tour for $15/person on a little bus ride & this was a nice way to spend the day. We toured Hell, the Dolphin Discovery, and various highlights while learning about the island. Last year we just went to 7 mile beach, & it was very crowded & you had to pay for chairs. On this tour, we learned of the public beaches & out of the way spots, so that if we go back, we'll know where to go! The people there are not allowed to try to sell things on the beaches & at the pier, so that was nice. The water is beautiful & you can snorkel right off the beach.

Simply beautiful island! The port area is very clean & there is a beach in walking distance. We toured the entire island last year, & this year we just had a taxi take us to WestBay where we just sat on the beach & parasailed. The only negative there is that so many people are walking trying to sell things. However, sitting where we were, there are security officers that will make them leave you alone. Ziplining is awesome & the monkey farm is really cute. There is a lot of very poor areas, but also very beautiful areas.
Read 1649 Roatan Reviews