Carnival Destiny Cruise Review by TorOntCruiser

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Carnival Destiny Cruise Review by TorOntCruiser
Carnival Destiny
Carnival Destiny
Member Name: TorOntCruiser
Cruise Date: January 2013
Cabin Category: 8M
See More About: Carnival Destiny Cruise Reviews | Western Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Carnival Cruise Deals
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+

Our Destiny: A perfect honeymoon! - (Pt. 2) - Jan 17/2013
This was the second of our back to back cruises as my wife and I celebrated our honeymoon aboard the Carnival Destiny. I wrote two separate reviews to chronicle our adventures. Sailing date was January 17th, 2013.

Day One -- Embarkation Day. As we were cruising back to back we had special processing and were off of the ship for perhaps fifteen minutes. When we returned to our stateroom we were very surprised to see that the Destiny's Hotel Director had dropped off a bottle of champagne with his compliments. Nothing like starting a cruise off in this manner!

Following the muster drill and prior to departure the captain came on the public address system to advise guests of a mechanical problem with the aft thrusters. The Destiny would only be able to go to ports with tug boats. Consequently we would not be going to Cozumel but would be going to Nassau instead. While a bit of a disappointment, we had never seen Nassau and were excited about going there. Guests had the option of departing with a full refund or receiving a fifty dollar onboard credit. We weren't going anywhere and made use of the credit. Perhaps two hundred people disembarked -- their loss!

For dinner we had been relocated from our first cruise table but the Maitre d', Ibrahim, relocated us to a table for four that we had as our table for two. We had asked Ibrahim to relocate us to our table from the frist cruise but we loved our new table and decided to stay there. (If you take the time to talk with the crew as opposed to talking down to them they will really take care of you!)

Day Two -- Key West. A wonderful place to visit and I wish we could have stayed there longer. After the tug pushed us in we went ashore and toured the town. The ship had a good number of people who were wearing bright yellow T-shirts that mentioned the Danny Albani Show. We caught his performance in Key West and the show/venue added to the charm of the town. Don't forget to go to the Key West Lime Pie Factory for a slice of Key lime pie on a stick. It's beyond words!

This was also formal dinner night with lobster on the menu. My wife and I both asked for two lobster tails and were amazed to get two full lobster dinners. Our waiter, Jose, then threw us a curve and told us he had a third dinner if we wanted it. No thank you Jose but the offer was very much appreciated. (If we had that third lobster we would had to have to been wheeled back to our cabin.) Perhaps those people who got off the ship before sailing created a surplus of lobster? No complaints here!

Day Three -- Nassau. As Nassau was a port we hadn't planned on, we hadn't researched it at all. Nassau seemed to have one main street for shopping and some of the streets leading away from this street left a lot to be desired. (The onboard briefing warned us about the dangers of touring the town after dark.) My wife and I did the main drag and picked up a few items. We also saw a lady from another cruise ship who had rented a moped and driven it right into the back of a bus. Noonan, our cruise director, warned us about the dangers of driving in Nassau and he was right!

We ran out of steam somewhat early and headed back to the ship. We rigged a Canadian flag on our aft balcony and got a number of positive comments from other Canucks as they headed back to their ships.

Day Four -- Sea Day. The last full day of our honeymoon at sea, we cruised aimlessly at six knots, making our way back to Miami. But the fun was nowhere near over as we shopped aboard, and took part in other activities. The best of the activities for me was the bingo as I was lucky enough to win. Thank you Carnival for discounting my cruise! We also took the time to say farewell to those in the crew with whom we established such great friendships.

Day Five -- Disembarkation. While in Zone Two for debarkation we missed our call and left the ship perhaps fifteen or twenty minutes later. Everything went smoothly and we were aboard our bus to the airport quickly. When that bus would not start we got on a second bus and we at the airport in short order.

Summary - As I mentioned in my other review, Carnival is pulling out the stops and is loading the staff of the Destiny with top notch people. They have succeeded in making the last cruises of the Destiny outstanding before the ship goes to dry dock and returns as the Carnival Sunshine. Apart from the scrambled eggs there was nothing negative to say about this cruise.

Although we were rerouted because of the failed thruster, the safety of the ship and its passengers has to be the primary factor. So we didn't go to Cozumel but went to Nassau instead -- so what! For a honeymoon, Carnival delivered a wonderful pair of cruises and my wife and I will always cherish the memories. She even wants to book a cruise on the Sunshine when it returns to the United States. I don't think there can be a higher compliment than that.

Publication Date: 02/12/13