Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by flipflopgal

Embarkation: San Juan
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Rates 5+

Celebrity Summit The Good & The Bad
Overall I was pleasantly surprised with how well the Summit Week went. It was my 5th Celebrity cruise. I have also done 6 Princess Cruises, about 3 of which were in the Carribean as well. My last Celebrity was on the Solstice, and as Summit is older & not same class I did not have my expectations up. But in fact it was every bit as nice. Somehow they have designed the public areas so that we never felt crowded. No hassles with buffet lines & searches for tables at all. There was a mix up with our dining room seating but it turned out for the best as we like the select dining room better anyway.

The first day is a Sunday Sea day & they do a spectacular brunch. They also have a spectacular wine selection, especially by the glass. Ports are all excellent, no duds. Dining room food was always good as long as you choose carefully or took the advice of your waiter. The roasts & meats were particularly good ( lamb, pork, prime rib ), whereas on Princess the pasta's excel. We were particulary disappointed with the room service & the menu, it has been pared down considerably, not even oatmeal is available unless you are Concierge or above. After complaints they did accomodate but service was sporadic.

We were also less than impressed with the medical facility & doctor. Lastly, our final day we had the smoke alarm go off 4 times - 3 of them in the middle of the night requiring visits from staff & completely disrupting any hope of sleep & no compensation was offered. But I liked it enough Im probably going to book it again next winter, so that says it all I guess.

Publication Date: 02/12/13