Crown Princess Cruise Review by fleurdemom: Disappointed

Compare Prices on Crown Princess Western Caribbean Cruises

Disappointed

Sail Date: January 2013
Embarkation: Galveston

This was our first Princess cruise and perhaps our last. There was nothing noteworthy that would make us choose this line again. We booked through United because their last minute prices were better than booking directly through the cruise line (this has never happened to me before). We did only book 10 days before the cruise and chose an obstructed view guarantee ( our room had what I considered an unobstructed view at the end of the lifeboats so that was one pleasant surprise). We only had to drive from Houston so I had no transfer.
The embarkation lines were not too bad and moved fairly fast so no complaints there. We booked this cruise because of price and itinerary --after many Caribbean cruises from Galveston we wanted to see the Mayan ruins and didn't want to go back to Jamaica or Cayman again so this cruise had the best ports.

Our room was kept very clean and our room steward was very pleasant but there always seemed to be something we needed-- soap on the first More day and once the two bars were used they were only replaced by one more not two. The ice bucket was never even there.

The ship was the largest we have sailed. The thing I disliked about the ship was the confusing layout. Getting from point A to B always seemed to be a trial with dining rooms blocking the way. I suppose this is for crowd control but aggravating on many occasions.

Now the food-- as remarked by other reviewers LACKING! I am not hard to please as my motto is if I don't have to cook it or clean it up I don't complain. But that being said we found the dining room selections lacking in type of selections--usually more European type weird-- and everything seemed tasteless. I am not a salt-a-holic but season something! I had the southern fried chicken one night and it was 3 tiny hacked pieces of tasteless, greasy chicken with no resemblance to real fried chicken. My husband o[ted for the meatloaf and found it spongy and tasteless. The desserts selections we about the same every night with only one or two changes each night--these were also nothing special. One night we checked the menu and found nothing to our liking and opted for the buffet which was also disappointing and tasteless. There were few vegetable choices for both lunch and dinner and the salad bar type stuff got boring. The best food was the pizza and hamburger bars that we ate at upon a later return from the excursions.

We only attended 2 shows--same old stuff--but to be fair we rarely attend shows on other cruise lines either. We did enjoy the movies at sea but found to see the evening shows some dinner plans had to work perfectly. One night we planned to watch the movie but found the deck chairs to be very wet from the sea mist so there were no comfortable places to sit and watch. The first run movies in the staterooms were enjoyable as an alternative.

The shore excursions were booked off the ship and we were quite pleases with them, and this after all was why we were going on this cruise. In Belize we went to see Altun Ha. Our guide was wonderful and very informative and the ruins were amazing. The same with Tulum. Our guide was a wealth of knowledge and
made us truly appreciate this remarkable place. Five stars for this part of the cruise.

Would we ever choose Princess over Royal Caribbean or Norwegian--highly doubtful-- over Carnival maybe. Less

Read more Crown Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Crown Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Crown Princess

E630-- not obstructed at all.

Our shore excursion to see the Mayan ruin of Altun Ha made this a fabulous port. The tourist village was also nice. Tendering was a drag-- hate to tender!

Mayan Ruins

(5)
Our tour was fantastic!! This was the main reason for coming on this cruise-- after coming to Cancun or Cozumel many times we Finally got to see the ruins. They were beyond amazing--- most memorable thing of the whole trip.

We loved the fact that shopping and beach were available right off the dock and we also found free wifi. This was our third time to Roatan but the first time at this dock- Mahogany Bay. Great port of call.
Read 1663 Roatan Reviews