Silver Wind Cruise Review by VegasBob: The only thing 6-Star was the marketing program

VegasBob
Member Since 2013

Compare Prices on Silver Wind Europe - Eastern Mediterranean Cruises

The only thing 6-Star was the marketing program

Sail Date: September 2012
Destination: Europe - Eastern Mediterranean
Embarkation: Rome (Civitavecchia)

I knew the minute we stepped on board that this was going to be a disappointing experience. I was right. Basically, the ship was tired and worn out. This was apparent throughout. On all eleven days as we moved about the ship I found myself bewildered at how this experience could be rated 6-Star Premium.

Service was very good, but no better than any other cruise we've been on. I don't understand the private butler concept because one butler worked many rooms. The first two times we called for room service we waited 50, then 40 minutes, for a simple order, which arrived cold and had to be returned. The butler apologized explaining that it was a busy time for him.

All around the ship it seemed to go unnoticed that things need upkeep. Poolside tables would not be bussed for long periods after a guest vacated. On several days we sat at a dirty table and waited an unusually long time before someone cleaned up the previous trash. The pool deck is surrounded with glass walls, More which were beautiful the first day. But by the end of the trip these walls were opaque with salt film, unpleasant to look at and impossible to look through. I'm sure the glass was never cleaned. This was annoying when there was so much beautiful Mediterranean coastline along the way.

The cabin carpet was old and worn. My veranda floor had rotting wood with rusty nails tacking it down, unsightly rusting door hardware and foam door seals disintegrating and mostly gone. In one of the main dining rooms, ceiling trim was separating from the wall. Many walls on the ship are covered with a cheap vinyl. These things would not be so notable in a cut-rate cruise but I did not expect this worn out environment on the 6-Star Premium cruise I was sold.

Hangars for pants in my closet wouldn't hold my pants because the metal clips that hold the cuffs were old and weak. Often I would go to my closet and find my dress pants had fallen to the floor. When I asked my butler for new hangers he apologized, saying they were all like that. Not a deal-breaker itself, but many little things eventually create a big picture.

We love fresh fish, something we expected a lot of on this level of cruise. I could not believe we were cruising in the Mediterranean for 11-days, stopping every day in ports with major fresh fish markets, and we could only get frozen fish on the ship. This was very disappointing. We ate in every restaurant on the ship. Overall, we would rate the food and wine as average. No better than any other cruise we've been on and certainly not what we expected on this trip.

My biggest complaint is regarding my feedback to Silversea. My cruise consultant called me after the trip to ask how it was (impressive gesture). I gave her these highlights. She asked if I would write a letter and attach the photos I had taken of our rotten wood and rusty door veranda. I took the time and did it. She called back saying this was totally unacceptable and she would elevate my experience to her superiors. After several emails and a voice mail to her over the past 5 months I have heard nothing from Silversea.

I am still looking for that 6-Star Premium cruise. Silversea Wind did not deliver it. Less

Read more Silver Wind cruise reviews >>