Paul Gauguin Cruise Review by Alfsdril: Tera Moana

Tera Moana

Sail Date: January 2013
Destination: Panama Canal & Central America
Embarkation: St. Maarten

Would like to say this is our second Paul Gauguin cruise in 2 years and will probably be our last. I want to say on our first Paul Gauguin cruise, everything was great. Service, food, staff were all fabulous so this is why we decided to go on the smaller Tera Moana, expecting more of the same. Well it was a very big disappointment. First off, the dining room was very hot and some nights I had to leave just to cool down. Some nights suppers took in excess of 2 hours. On one occasion, I had to go upstairs and help myself to a beverage as I waited for 20 minutes and it was not coming. I don't necessarily blame the staff as the boat was way understaffed and very poorly designed. there is no bar on the dining room floor and the servers have to go up and down stairs to get beverages for supper. It was also stated in the brochure that there are 2 dining areas which is false. Everyone was packed into the one, downstairs hence another reason it was probably so hot. In the brochure it also says More 24 hour room service and this is totally not true. You could not get anything after 9:00 pm and what was on the room service menu was very poor. Out of all the cruises we have been on, the dining room food on this one was probably the worst ( that includes Carnival,Princess, Disney and Royal Caribbean). Breakfast was pretty much the same day after day. Hash browns tasted like cardboard. If you didn't put syrup on the pancakes, you couldn't cut them with a knife. Ryan and Rachit, the 2 nicest and best servers on board, were fired half way through the cruise. We drank warm beer because the 20 year old original ice makers broke down. Apparently only 1 was working. Our shower plugged up and it took 7 hours for someone to have a look at it. We were fortunate that a great couple let us use their room to shower in. The fitness room had no a/c or water in it.
We are not high maintenance people by any means and the idea of only 90 guests on board is great, but when we payed that kind of money for a(supposedly) luxury cruise, we expect a little more out of it then what we got. I wrote a letter to Paul Gauguin and they couldn't give me the decency of even a reply. I know this will be our last trip on this cruise line and would not recommend it to anyone
DW Less