Carnival Triumph Cruise Review by logan25: Is Triumph Typical?

logan25
Member Since 2011

Compare Prices on Carnival Triumph Western Caribbean Cruises

Is Triumph Typical?

Sail Date: February 2013
Embarkation: Galveston

Husband and I are not new to cruising (on four separate cruise lines) but talked another couple into cruising on the Triumph over Superbowl for their first cruise ever. Happily the experience was positive enough that the couple is already looking to cruise again in the future. However, I'm not sure Carnival is a good fit for any of us.

Positives:

Anytime dining was available and does not require prepaid gratuities.

Decor of ship was nice enough. Room was nice size (but too little storage). Couple's aft balcony was generous.

A few food items hit the mark: flat iron steak, chateaubriand, chocolate soft serve, warm chocolate melting cake, Neptune chef salad.

Enjoyed comedians and game show mania.

Good variety of fitness equipment with good view.

Negatives:

Design of ship left much to be desired if you wished to traverse from stem to stern. We learned that Deck 5 through/past the casino is a safe bet.

Cruise More Director was less visible than others I have experienced. Seemed to interact more as an announcer than as an active participant with the passengers.

The wife commented on the next to last night that she had yet to experience the "fun". I believe she was expecting (from the commercial images) to see parties, parties, parties. Except for a few group dances out by the pool (which is not everyone's idea of dancing), we did not see a party atmosphere in any of the lounges or bars.

Staging more than a few live musical acts just to the side of the casino was a poor choice of venue for several reasons. Clogged up a major thoroughfare. The volume was ear-splitting. There wasn't really a good dance space, even if the spirit was willing.

Wife noted much of the musical entertainment available was canned and looped endlessly, so we heard the same songs over and over during the cruise.

Many food offerings missed the marked. The wife opined the desserts by and large were disappointing. Could not get fresh pineapple in the buffet at breakfast, even though white shirts (upper staff) told me all I had to do was ask (since they make it available at dinner in the buffet). Not!! I requested at breakfast and was refused point blank. Certainly did not see the "can do" (or at least "let me go check") attitude that other cruise lines exhibit.

Took two days and several trips to Guest Services to have an illegitimate charge removed from account. Wasn't going to leave the desk on the last night until it was removed.

And I won't even go into how the Rio Club sprung a leak (or rather, many leaks) from the ceiling on the final night. But I was there to bear witness. Less

Read more Carnival Triumph cruise reviews >>