Radiance of the Seas Cruise Review by cutie222

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Radiance of the Seas Cruise Review by cutie222
Radiance of the Seas
Radiance of the Seas
Member Name: cutie222
Cruise Date: January 2013
Embarkation: Sydney (Australia)
Destination: Australia & New Zealand
See More About: Radiance of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Australia & New Zealand Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals
Entertainment 5+
Spa & Fitness 5+

Disappointed this time
Given my intro, I will add that I do not complain about things on cruises...but this time I'm making an exception. This New Zealand cruise, which was lovely by itself, was a disappointment when it came to the cruise ship experience.

I was disappointed that the dining room food was so overly salted to the point that I had to return my entrees on two occasions because they were inedible. I am definitely not fussy about food, but I would think, given the average age of most cruisers on this trip (65+), that the chef would be more sensitive to the needs of this group of people, i.e. less salt in the food. Everyone can add as much salt as they want, but you can't remove it once it's on your plate.

I will also add that the menu itself provided few "oooooh, yummy" moments. The prime rib - when we had it - was excellent, but on the whole I looked at the menu and tried to pick out something/anything that sounded good. The options were poor, in my opinion...and I've certainly never experienced that in all the sailings I've done.

Finally, I was surprised at the lack of interesting things to do on the ship. Yes, I'll admit I no longer go to the towel folding or vegetable carving demonstrations. But the daily activity sheet contained mostly spa selling disguised as health "seminars", casino tournaments or bingo, and the (very) occasional class. No port lectures, not even the usual lecture going over the upcoming excursions. Heaven forbid something vaguely intellectual. The movie theater was so tiny that you had to go at least 30 minutes early to get in, while the main theater was empty. Why didn't they at least show the movies in there when they could?

Given all this complaining, I am now done for the next 10 years. I'll go on RCI again, but hope that things are better on the next cruise.

Publication Date: 02/10/13