Independence of the Seas Cruise Review by cruisingblues

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Independence of the Seas Cruise Review by cruisingblues
Independence of the Seas
Independence of the Seas
Member Name: cruisingblues
Cruise Date: January 2013
Cabin Category: JS
See More About: Independence of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Western Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals

RCCL Declining
I am an experienced cruiser with at least six RCCL cruises amongst other cruise lines. I have enjoyed RCCL cruises on my honeymoon, and then as children came, as our family cruise vacations. As our children have now grown, I was looking forward to our first cruise as just a couple again, and looked forward to being on RCCL again. We booked an AFT junior suite. All I can say is how utterly disappointed we were at the decline this cruise line has suffered.

The food in the dining room was absolutely awful every night. The entertainment in the main theatre, which was once their main feature, was embarrassing --- a kid's camp could've done better, honestly. The cabins were worn, although clean, but there were NO amenities. That is, no bathrobe, no moisturizer, just some cheap shampoo and conditioner. I had to speak with a manager on board just to get a small bottle of moisturizer and a bathrobe. This is not how it was years ago at all. The manager told me he would ask my attendant to retrieve these items as a "special favor" for me, but that only "suite" guests are supposed to get these amenities in there cabins! Really? Even a Holiday Inn gives their guests moisturizer! Once the attendant brought these two items, he reminded me daily of the "trek" he endured having to go up to the tenth floor to "steal" some moisturizer for me. He was polite, but already posturing for a larger tip. Very annoying. The DJ in the night club was arrogant and would not take a request until the last night of the cruise -- even though at the time there was nobody on the floor dancing. On departure, the computer system crashed and all three thousand passengers basically disembarked at the same time. It was chaos and we waited hours in line for a taxi.

In summation, when the food and entertainment on a ship is lousy, there's not a whole lot more to say. I will not be cruising again with RCCL.

Publication Date: 02/10/13