Carnival Glory Cruise Review by raggedyann6: Great Staff

Member Since 2006

Compare Prices on Carnival Glory Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Great Staff

Sail Date: January 2013

We were a group of 5 girlfriends cruising together in 2 inside cabins on the Lido deck Jan 27-Feb 3 2013. We got to the POM around 1:00 and onboard around 1:45 very easy check in. Since 4 of us walked our bags onboard we went right to our cabins and unpacked. I did not meet our cabin steward til the 2nd or 3rd day but our cabin was always clean and loved our towel animals every night. I liked being in a cabin on Lido it is close to everything. I do wish Carnival did not make announcements all the time I was always awakened in the mornings by them. The halls were kind of noisy with the staff vacuuming early and the clinking of glasses. Guess if we went to bed before 3 am it would not have been so bad LOL
This was the 1st time in the time on the 5 Carnival cruises I have been on that I did anytime dining. We liked it since we never had to rush to get ready at a certain time. We had to wait an hour one night to get seated at the waiter Chandra's table but if we had not had 7 in our More party and not cared what table we sat at I am sure the wait would not have been more than 20 minutes. We loved Chandra he took great care of us and was always smiling and took time to talk to us every night.
I never had a bad meal at dinner in The Golden Restaurant. The hot soups were always really good and served very hot, the chicken, and fish dishes were all very good. One night I ordered the seafood Newberg and it came with 3 mussels but only 1 had a mussel in the shell, I asked for a few more if possible. Five minutes later the assistant waiter brought me a bowl with 15 mussels all with a big mussel inside everyone of them! The meat dishes my friends ordered were just OK they said not that great. I ordered the salmon a few nights and it was always cooked well. The desserts were the only disappointment, on prior cruises I always ordered the chocolate melting cake and another dessert, but the choices were not as good this time. I did order the fresh fruit plate several times, a big slice of pineapple, a whole Kiwi, a strawberry, and grapes, all nice and ripe.
I went to the omelet station a few times for breakfast never waiting more than a few minutes.The Guy Burger Bar was really good, Good burgers,great fat seasoned fries. My friends liked the taco bar. At lunch on sea days I got smoked salmon and fresh mozzarella cheese at the deli. The staff in the Lido buffet were constantly cleaning plates from the tables making sure everything was clean. I asked for honey for my tea and 3 minutes later I was brought little cup with a good amount of honey, great service!
I do miss the live Caribbean band that usually plays at sail away and sea days. They replaced them with a DJ. The DJ did play good music though. They cut down on the staff for the shows but the ones they did have signing and dancing were pretty good. We went to a few late night comedy shows and they were fairly funny but not the best I have seen. We went to the White Heat dance club most nights and had a lot of fun. I really do wish they would make the dance club non smoking or at least ventilate it better it was soooo smokey.
We liked all the ports and never booked any excursions through the ship. We hired a private driver in St Thomas that I booked a month before our trip. He took us to 3 beaches and a tour around the island. We just walked around town and went to Junkanoo Beach in Nassau. Walked to El Moro in San Juan , shopped some and had some drinks by the pier. Grand Turks we went snorkeling with Blue Water Divers which was fun.
We had a 5 pm flight home so we did not get off the ship until around 10:30, and were in a cab to Bayside in 10 minutes from getting off the ship and took a boat tour for 1 1/2 hrs which is a good way to kill some time. Unfortunately 4 of the 5 of us came down with bad colds. I started coughing on Friday evening and Sat I was very tired, achy, had a low grade fever so I pretty much stayed in my cabin. The other 3 of my friends got the same thing the day after we got home. Not the cruise ships fault the flu is going around. We met some really fun people on the cruise and think for the money you can't beat Carnival. Less

Read more Carnival Glory cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Glory Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Glory Interior Lido 9259

A bit noisy there is a hall down from our cabin that the crew used for servicing. There was a smell in the cabin I told the room steward about it but he was not interested in doing anything about it. Our friends in the cabin next door 9255 did not have that smell. It was convenient to the Lido deck easy to get to other venues. There are only 2 cabins on that hall that could accommodate 3 passengers, I think if we only had 2 people in our cabin I would pick a cabin farther down the hall towards the bow of the boat, less people going past the room making noise. We checked out the suites at the end of the hall they were awesome! Carnival inside cabins are the largest ones compared to Celebrity, NCL, and Princess. Plenty of closet space, the bathroom has several shelves. The beds are very comfortable!

I booked a snorkel tour with Blue Water Divers a few months before our cruise. We took a cab to their office which was about $5.00 each person. They fitted us with our snorkle gear and for those that needed wet suits they rented them for $10. There were about 16 of us on our boat we went to 2 snorkel spots. The 1st one was the best it was only about 10 ft deep (I think) it was a little cloudy but saw some pretty fish, we were there for about 45 minutes to an hour. We went to another spot that was deeper it was a little windy and cloudy at this spot. There were fish but they were much further away the depth was 30-700 ft. The 2 crew were helpful and fun. Just water no rum punch or snacks on this excursion which was fine with me. We had some drinks and food at a nice little bar right down the street from the dive shop. It had a deck that was on the beach I had a Turks Head Beer which was great. They make some stiff drinks there. I walked along the beach while waiting for our food a few people were in the water. The water in the Grand Turks was beautiful. We did some looking in the shops by the pier and there was a nice beach right by the cruise docks.

We walked to Junkanoo Beach and hung out there for an hour or so. The beach is about a 10 minute easy walk from the ship and the beach is free. They had huts selling drinks, food, massages, and a bathroom. There was a pier next to where we put our towels down to lay out and a local guy was dragging young dogs down the pier with them resisting then he would either kick the dog off the pier into the water, or he would pick up the scared dog and throw him in the water and walk along the pier watching the dog swim back to the beach. This was very very disturbing to watch, I asked one the the ladies selling jewelry why this guy was doing this to theses poor dogs. She said it was for the dogs own good he was getting them used to going into the water to clean them off, WTF??? I said why not just hose them off if they are dirty and hot, not torture them by dragging them on concrete while their little paws were being scraped, then shoved against their will into the ocean. She said maybe he is training these dogs to be tough so the guy could sell them as guard dogs, again WTF. I told her the Americans seeing this were appalled and this is not a good thing for tourism. Two of my friends went to the Queens stairs and said it was nice. We were in port from 7 am to 2 which to me is not enough time. Who gets off the ship at 7 am nothing is even open til 9 or 10.
Read 2615 Nassau Reviews

We were in San Juan from 7-3 again 7 am is too early to get off the ship nothing is open. We got off around 10 and walked to El Moro Fort which was a bit of a hike but not too bad. It cost $3.00 to get into the Fort. It was in a beautiful spot to view the ocean and walk around. The best photo op believe it or not was in the ladies bathroom. There is an alcove in the bathroom with a gorgeous view of the ocean. While we were there some lady hurt her leg and an ambulance took her away there were some stairs to climb she may have slipped. We did some shopping on our way back to the ship from El Moro then stopped off at a bar restaurant across from the cruise docks they had 2 for one margs $10. We got a bit turned around going back to the ship and a government worker walked us to the street we needed to be on very nice! Old San Juan was clean and had interesting architecture, we went into an old church that was nice. We all enjoyed our time walking around and felt completely safe.
Read 1358 San Juan Reviews

I hired a driver to take us around St Thomas a few months before our cruise. Bruce Flamon AKA Chicago. I told him ahead of time what beaches we wanted to go to. He was there when we got off the ship and it was just the 5 of in his open air vehicle. we went to Secrete Harbor, Sapphire Beach and a quick stop at Lindquest Beach before going up high enough to see our cruise ship and Magens Bay and take pictures. I would recommend doing a private tour with Chicago, he is a retired Chicago Policeman and fireman. He was on time picking us up after our beach time, and made sure he got us back to the ship on time. Secret Harbor had some good snorkeling and there was a good restaurant on the beach. You could rent chairs, snorkel gear, paddle boards there. We just used our towels there was a little shade,a bathroom on site that was clean. Sapphire beach is nice there is a dive shop, gift shop, and bathrooms. It was much more windy at Sapphire than Secret Harbor which made the snorkeling a bit harder but still fun. Chicago then took us over to Lindquest Beach they now charge each person $2.00 to go there even though we just wanted to go take some pictures and leave they said no you have to pay. It is a beautiful little beach with no facilities, they do have a lifeguard. Apparently they are going to develop this beach which is a shame it is so pretty and natural.
Read 2322 St. Thomas Reviews