Star Princess Cruise Review by Salty Dave

Embarkation: Santiago (Valparaiso)
Destination: South America & Antarctica
Cabin Category: BB
Cabin Number: A624
See More About: Star Princess Cruise Reviews | South America & Antarctica Cruise Reviews | Princess Cruise Deals
Value-for-Money 5+
Rates 5+

Ship Facts: Star Princess Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Star Princess Deck Plans
Cape Horn on the Star Princess
Captain Perrin's announcements and explanations were great and the itinerary was good.,

I was disappointed that we did not actually go around the Horn like the brochure suggests. Really, we went under Cape Horn from east to west, and then turned around and went back the way we came from. I thought rounding Cape Horn meant going around Cape Horn from west to east since we started in Santiago in the west and ended in the east in Buenos Aries.

The ship was very stable, even in 54 knot winds. The coldest we had was about 6C. But of course the wind made it seem colder.

Avoid cabins near A624 and A623 if you don't like the slamming of food trolleys in elevators from 3 am onwards. I had to wear earplugs. Don't know if the crew could have avoided making such a racket.

Speaking of crew, the general crew on this ship seemed less than happy. I am not sure why? About a third of the passengers were south americans who may have been tougher on the crew - that is the only explanation I could think of, having experienced pushiness and rudeness from some of the passengers from that part of the world.

Anyway, it was a good adventure, rather than a pleasure cruise. The scenery was spectacular, and I got a strong case of penquin fever - I love those little critters.

Santiago was in better shape than Buenos Aires, though Buenos Aires had faded elegance that would have been impressive in its day - the Paris of South America. Now it is ratty around the edges, though you can still see its former glory in the big avenues and elegant buildings. And the locals are less than helpful, many being somewhat surly. I guess the bad economy and inflation is hurting.

Publication Date: 02/10/13