Star Princess Cruise Review by Salty Dave: Cape Horn on the Star Princess

Cape Horn on the Star Princess

Sail Date: January 2013
Destination: South America & Antarctica
Embarkation: Santiago (Valparaiso)

Captain Perrin's announcements and explanations were great and the itinerary was good.,

I was disappointed that we did not actually go around the Horn like the brochure suggests. Really, we went under Cape Horn from east to west, and then turned around and went back the way we came from. I thought rounding Cape Horn meant going around Cape Horn from west to east since we started in Santiago in the west and ended in the east in Buenos Aries.

The ship was very stable, even in 54 knot winds. The coldest we had was about 6C. But of course the wind made it seem colder.

Avoid cabins near A624 and A623 if you don't like the slamming of food trolleys in elevators from 3 am onwards. I had to wear earplugs. Don't know if the crew could have avoided making such a racket.

Speaking of crew, the general crew on this ship seemed less than happy. I am not sure why? About a third of the passengers were south americans who may have been tougher on the crew - that is the More only explanation I could think of, having experienced pushiness and rudeness from some of the passengers from that part of the world.

Anyway, it was a good adventure, rather than a pleasure cruise. The scenery was spectacular, and I got a strong case of penquin fever - I love those little critters.

Santiago was in better shape than Buenos Aires, though Buenos Aires had faded elegance that would have been impressive in its day - the Paris of South America. Now it is ratty around the edges, though you can still see its former glory in the big avenues and elegant buildings. And the locals are less than helpful, many being somewhat surly. I guess the bad economy and inflation is hurting. Less

Read more Star Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Star Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Star Princess Oceanview Double with Balcony Emerald Deck A624

A624 is a nice balcony room. But it is across from a food freight elevator that sevices the Horizons Dining room. From about 3 am. food trolleys were slammed around, into and out of the elevator. I was repeatedly woken up and had to resort to wearing earplugs.

Chaotic transfer from ship to city. We took transfer available from Princess, but actually would have been just as good to pay the $30US ransom taxis demand to go to your hotel. As it was, the bus transfer to the Marriott hotel meant that outside the front of the hotel was also chaos trying to get a taxi. Many taxis igored us, or demanded $20US. The police stopped taxis from stopping for us tourists - don't know why. Finally got a taxi who agreed to take us for $4US, since our hotel nearby. But when we arrived at hotel he doubled the price to $8. So all in all we spent $28US between us, and probably took longer than just grabbing a taxi from the port.

A very nice, relatively clean and safe city to wander around in. Seemed in better shape than either Santiago or Buenos Airies.

Nice, if non-descript little town. Good supermarket called "U" near cruise terminal to stock up on wine, chips, coke.

Penguin Reserve

(5)
I have penquin fever - I love those little critters.

A commercial town specializing in mountain sports.
Read 98 Ushuaia Reviews