Independence of the Seas Cruise Review by ladyhawk415: So Much To See

Member Since 2008

Compare Prices on Independence of the Seas Western Caribbean Cruises

So Much To See

Sail Date: January 2013

My husband and I put this particular itinerary off multiple times. We always found somewhere else we really wanted to go more. Our ports on this cruise were Grand Cayman, Falmouth Jamaica and Labadee Haiti. Were we ever wrong putting this itinerary off until now!

Grand Cayman was beautiful. We took a tour that included Hell, the Rum Cake Factory, The Turtle Farm, and Stingray City. Outstanding tour. We covered a lot of ground, at a nice pace. Stingray City was definitely the highlight! That was an unbelievable experience, and we would definitely do it again.

Next up, Falmouth Jamaica. We had heard so many horror stories about Jamaica, we weren't even sure we wanted to get off the ship. My advice to anyone going to Jamaica, don't listen to naysayers. Take an organized tour and enjoy your day. Stay out of the "local markets" where you get hawked to death. If you must, just shop in the port village. Our tour in Jamaica was called "The Heartbeat of More Jamaica". First, let me say, the roads out to Trelawny were semi-paved at best, so the ride out there (about 40 minutes) was a bit bumpy. It took us to a local grade school first. If you are from the States, this was an eye opener, and as far as I am concerned a must see. The children and their wonderful teachers were very accommodating and extremely friendly, and we enjoyed this very much. At this point our jitney picked us up and took us to the sugar cane and papaya fields. Our guide Dana was wonderful. We actually got to plant papaya seedlings which was a lot of fun. Next, we went to the site of the original "Big House". We had a wonderful tasting meal of papaya juice, fresh fruit (including papaya, citrus and pineapple) and some of the best jerk chicken I've ever had. After our tasting, we had a rum tasting, with all different varieties of rum. While we were waiting for our coach back to the pier, our guides offered up more fresh papaya juice and a wide variety of fresh fruits.

Last, but certainly not least, was Labadee. What a beautiful place! In Labadee we did the Dragon's Breath Flight Line. WOW!!!!! It's pricey, but so worth the price. You start out 500 feet off the ground and fly a breathtaking 2600 feet over the water. I am not a thrill seeker, but this is something you just have to experience. The cruise line BBQ was good, as always, and the weather was perfect. I highly recommend this port.

Independence of the Seas is a big, beautiful ship. The crew is helpful to a fault. There are so many things to see and do, just on the ship, that your week can be completely full, if you choose. We will be taking this cruise again, and we're just sorry we've put it off for so long. Less

Read more Independence of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Independence of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Independence of the Seas Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom Deck 6 6632

Perfect cabin for this ship. Great location, cabin size & big balcony.

Our tour in Jamaica was called "The Heartbeat of Jamaica". First, let me say, the roads out to Trelawny were semi-paved at best, so the ride out there (about 40 minutes) was a bit bumpy. It took us to a local grade school first. If you are from the States, this was an eye opener, and as far as I am concerned a must see. The children and their wonderful teachers were very accommodating and extremely friendly, and we enjoyed this very much. At this point our jitney picked us up and took us to the sugar cane and papaya fields. Our guide Dana was wonderful. We actually got to plant papaya seedlings which was a lot of fun. Next, we went to the site of the original "Big House". We had a wonderful tasting meal of papaya juice, fresh fruit (including papaya, citrus and pineapple) and some of the best jerk chicken I've ever had. After our tasting, we had a rum tasting, with all different varieties of rum. While we were waiting for our coach back to the pier, our guides offered up more fresh papaya juice and a wide variety of fresh fruits.
Read 477 Falmouth Reviews

Hell

(3)
Definitely a tourist trap, but the limestone field BEHIND the building is eerily beautiful. You can send a postcard from the shop there postmarked from "HELL". Hopefully this will be my only time in hell. :)
Read 33 Hell Reviews

Rum Cake Factory

(3)
Definitely in the tourist trap category, but the rum cake was good and the location was beautiful.

Stingray Swim

(5.5)
Unbelievable! The water is clear and warm. The stingrays swim all around you. They're so beautiful and graceful, it is a pleasure to experience being in the water with them. This was the highlight of this tour.

Turtle Farm

(5.5)
Fascinating place. Beautiful location. The turtles (many varieties) were beautiful. You can even hold one.

Read 358 Labadee Reviews