Liberty of the Seas Cruise Review by bortzct: Best Kept Cabin Secret & Other Tips from our AMAZING Cruise

bortzct
Member Since 2008

Compare Prices on Liberty of the Seas Western Caribbean Cruises

Best Kept Cabin Secret & Other Tips from our AMAZING Cruise

Sail Date: January 2013
Embarkation: Other

This cruise was all about the ship - not the ports. I went on this trip with my two dear neighbors who had never cruised before so I wanted to make sure they experienced what I think is the BEST ship out on the seas right now. They had a wonderful time and have been completely spoiled by the Liberty of the Seas! This ship is a slightly smaller version of the Oasis and Allure of the Seas. They have the same top notch entertainment and perks of the Dreamworks characters. This is the 4th largest ship in the world and is #1 in my book!

Here are my top tips:
1) Before you book your cabin be sure to check out Deckgenius.com to get the inside scoop on all the cabins. Every Ship has some cabins which are configured with extra space due to the ships structure. Our AFT Cabin #7408 was a perfect example, it was the corner Aft Balcony with a balcony 3 TIMES LARGER than other similar graded cabins. It was massive and by being on the corner, we had amazing views from both the More back and the side.
2)Fly in the night before and stay at one of the many hotels near the port that offer free airport shuttle and offer shuttles to and from the port for a small fee. Don't risk flying in the day of the cruise - the ship will not wait for you.
3) GET TO THE PORT EARLY! They might tell you to not show up until 1:30pm but trust me, be there at 10:30. You will breeze right through the lines and most often can be on the ship by 11:30 enjoying lunch and exploring the ship vs everyone else stuck in lines for 2 hours at the port.
4) Don't head straight to the Windjammer Buffet when you first board like everyone else but go to the Promenade on Deck 4 and enjoy a nice relaxing lunch at the Cafe Promenade or Sorrentos. The Lido deck will be packed while you can be exploring all the venues on Deck 3 - 4 - 5 with no crowds. A great way to familiarize yourself with the ship even before it sails away.
5) Most people do not need to waste money on prescription sea sickness meds or patches when all you need to do is pick up a $4 dollar bottle of generic motion sickness pills. We had some 50 mph winds on our cruise and a couple of those pills is all we needed.
6) Bring on your own wine, pop, or bottled water. They will allow you to bring on up to 2 bottles of wine or a case of pop per person. You can empty out the little minibar refrig in your room and use that to store your drinks. (except during Spring Break time when they do not allow you to bring on your own drinks) Bring your own sports bottle that you can refill daily with cold water, tea, or lemonade to use while you are laying around the sun deck or at port.
7) Go to the Main Dinning room for Dinner each night - this is an experience in itself. Ask for a large table so you can meet new people - you can even email RCLDining@rccl.com to ask to be placed by the windows. The menus offer great options, if you can't decide between two appetizers or entrees - order them both! We would order order 4 or 5 different desserts every night and share them because we could not make up our minds.
8) Check out several towels your first day so you don't have to stand in line each day to get a new pool towel. As long as you return all your towels by 11pm on the last night of the cruise, you will not get charged for them.
9) Get to all the main shows 20 minutes early if you want a good seat - making reservations really does not matter, just get there early. They have amazing shows so you don't want to miss them.
10) Disembarkation day - Carry your own luggage off so you can sleep in a little and not have to mess with waiting in big groups to get off the ship and then hunt around to find your bags.
This is my favorite ship hands down and I can't wait until I return in March for a Spring Break cruise with my 12 year old twins!!! Less

Read more Liberty of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Liberty of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Liberty of the Seas Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom Deck 6 7408

BEST Balcony Bargin on the ship! This cabin is located on the corner AFT on Deck 7. The Balcony is MASSIVE - we had 2 chairs, a table, and two lounge chairs with plenty of room left over for more. The Corner location is great in that you only have neighbors on one side and is very private. The "obstucted view" note on this cabin is not justified. We hosted parties on our balcony and everyone was blown away with it's size, privacy, and beautiful views.

Based on the research that I had done on this port, we decided we would just walk around the secure port area and not venture out into the city. There just was not enough cultural or nearby attractions that interested us at this port. The Port Area was very nice and had plenty of shops and a small straw market of local vendors. The vendors was all very nice and attentive. They were very friendly and good natured in their price haggling. I found several very unique souvenirs for my kids and some really pretty custom jewelry pieces at very reasonable prices. Be sure to try the free Banana Cream Rum at the shop right across from the Straw Market - yummy!
Read 479 Falmouth Reviews

If you took away the aggressive local shop owners, this would have been an amazing Beach Day. If you want a beach that is not crowded and is free of rocks for swimming, take the small ferry from the dock over to Columbus Cove. They will have workers waiting for you to put lounge chairs out for you with plenty of palm trees to provide shade if you want. They serve a delicious lunch buffet right near by. You can take the tram back to the main entrance or walk. We walked back pass all the local shops and where so harassed that we were too intimidated to do any shopping as all. That was really the biggest negative to the entire port. This port offers plenty of activities or you can just relax and read a book.
Read 359 Labadee Reviews