Carnival Inspiration Cruise Review by traveler81: Great Room Steward ---larger than expected

traveler81
Member Since 2013

Entertainment Not Rated

Compare Prices on Carnival Inspiration Mexican Riviera Cruises

Great Room Steward ---larger than expected

Sail Date: January 2013
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Embarkation: Los Angeles

While we may not have cruised dozens of times we are not total Cruzin Newbs either.
I must say since we took our first Carnival cruise the embarkation process has dramatically improved! Yay Carnival! Everything was ready when we boarded ship... Another plus for the Inspiration Crew!
The ship was immaculate which is really to their credit another cruise we have been on can not say that!
On to the food ... Ok this is carnival not Holland America or Oceania or ....... Ok so that said we preferred eating Lido at least the food was still quite warm
I ordered waffles in main dining for breakfast one morning and can honestly say they were the worst I've ever had! Seriously how can you make bad waffles? (bisquick?) to top it off they were cold we left & went lido to get warm food. ... End of main Dining.
Now the Lido...
The sandwiches from the grill are very good made to order.
Salad bar is very nice fresh well supplied.
Desert bar get 3&1/2 stars at More least always has chocolate... And you can't go wrong there.
The Buffett overall was ok edible but nothing to rave about think mall food court and you are ok.
The coffee was ok weak but not bitter and had a nice flavor to it.
The servers were all very efficient and wait staff quick to clean up.

The cabins-- we booked porthole cabins this time we just wanted a nice little getaway to relax sleep in etc.
The room was quite nice but some how the booking had us not as a couple & had to fix the beds no big deal our room steward quickly took care of it. She was truly amazing. The room was bigger than expected and bathroom as well supplied with some toiletries but we did not use. Nice touch though. No hair dryer so we had to ask for one. Note to remember to bring own hair dryer ( something i haven't packed in years).

So are you wondering what the Ugly is ?? It's the smoking the highly contentious topic. As a former smoker I get it. As an Asthmatic I get it. So here it is.
The cabins were being infiltrated so bad by smoke (via ventilation system) it triggered an asthmatic reactions in both myself & my daughter in the adjoining cabin.
We spent most of the cruise dealing with the crew trying to resolve the issue. They did refund one cabin a partial refund and a discount on a future cruise.
But herein lies the problem especially with older ships the ventilation systems are not good & the smoke does not filter out we had to turn off the cabin AC if it had been hot we would have suffocated.
They did not have air purifiers to remedy this.
The issue with smoking for me is not the smell its the health hazard & when it's on the balconies & cabins it filters into other cabins creating health risks for other passengers.
I started the cruise healthy & left with asthma issues. I'm not one who has them all the time or frequently even. So this was a major issue.
Cruise lines really needs to limit smoking to upper decks away from general populace if the sail from a USA PORT. Less

Read more Carnival Inspiration cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Inspiration Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Inspiration Interior Empress U16

The room was quite nice comfortable beds. However, some how the booking had us not as a couple & had to fix the beds no big deal our room steward quickly took care of it. She was truly amazing. The room was bigger than expected and bathroom as well supplied with some toiletries but we did not use. Nice touch though. It was also quite large. The bathroom did have a sewage smell so we made sure to keep the door closed all the time. No hair dryer so we had to ask for one. Note to remember to bring own hair dryer ( something i haven't packed in years). The negative ---cabins were being infiltrated so bad by smoke (via ventilation system) it triggered an asthmatic reactions in both myself & my daughter in the adjoining cabin.

This was a very nice little Port I would have like more time her to hang out and explore the island.