Disney Fantasy Cruise Review by Dackell: Disney Fantasy

Compare Prices on Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Disney Fantasy

Sail Date: January 2013
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

Overall the cruise we took on the Disney Fanasy was great! There is quite a bit to do on the ship to keep you and the kids entertained. As with everything in life there are pros and cons, thankfully the cons were few. Some of the positive aspects were, plenty (and I mean PLENTY) of things to do for the kids. Lots of character greets (though truth be told on a ship of 4000 passengers there were some massive lines...even showing up 20-30 minutes early!), great activities in the kids clubs (my girls are 5 & 7) , the pools, although crowded (but show me a cruise ship that isn't!) and the water areas including "Aquaduck" were very much enjoyed along with the "Funnel Vision" movies (a giant video screen on deck) . Generous sized stateroom (we had a deluxe family room with verandah). Great staff service (although sometimes they don't seem to understand "personal space"). This ship is spotless....I mean REALLY spotless! It was quite incredible just how clean it is (I know it's less than a More year old but WOW!) The "magic" paintings and the "Mystery Detective" game was very cool. A couple of the negatives were that the crown mouldings in the staterooms were made of plastic and the joints rubbed together creating a constant creaking sound. At night this was particularly noticeable and annoying (kept waking me up).The Air Conditioning in the room at night was not very cold. I can't imagine what it would feel like in the summer! There is also NO character breakfast or "tea with Alice" on this ship, they are only offered on the smaller ships...WHAT??!! Disney REALLY needs to work on the clarity of their website! My kids were disappointed. Disembarkation was the worst of any ship I've been on. Seemed like it was a mad dash by a herd of cattle....no order or sequence to speak of.

The food in general was very good! Not incredible, but still MILES ahead of Carnival. Comparable with Norwegian and better than Princess Cruises (from my experience). I love going on cruises and food is one of the big reasons for me. We went to PALO one night and truth be told, although the food was very good....there wasn't much of a difference from the main dining rooms in terms of quality. Animators Palette was a great experience! However we didn't get the show until our SECOND seating at this restaurant (contrary to just about EVERY review I read that said definitely don't miss your FIRST seating here). As a result I had booked our PALO restaurant for our second night, so we just went with the kids to Animator's Palette for their dinner and the show. The food at Castaway Cay is the exception...tasted like it was from a Carnival cruise ship...edible but not very appetizing.

Stateroom was comfortable, spacious and well appointed with ample storage for 2 Adults and 2 kids. The verandah was very much enjoyed by my oldest daughter...and me!

The shows were very well done, very Disney "feel good" performances. A small pet peeve of mine....this is NOT Broadway OR a full scale theatre production. Some reviewers say that it's just as good or better...it isn't. The shows are great! But they are what they are....very well done cruise ship shows. The performers, directors and choreographers do a really good job, but if they were great they WOULD be on Broadway. Relax and enjoy the vacation and shows for what it is....pure Disney entertainment! The fireworks show was actually very cool and very well done.

This IS an expensive cruise to take compared with other lines. However, the daycare is free (and fun) and you can bring your own alcohol on board!(even with all that personal alcohol available the people seemed to be MUCH more responsible with it).

A couple of last observations...not good or bad, just observations. Firstly, there was a lot of movement for a ship this size. The water was calm yet you could constantly feel the motion....not enough to get anybody sick but movement nonetheless. Secondly, the clientele on this ship seems to be very Caucasian and obviously there are a lot of kids (Most of whom were wearing their princess gowns and tiaras!). Less

Read more Disney Fantasy cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Disney Fantasy Review >>

Cabin review: Disney Fantasy 6116

Cabin 6116 - great cabin but situated about exactly midway from 2 sets of stairs which made for a long walk no matter which direction you turned. Plastic mouldings in room seem cheap and creak with the movement of the ship.

Beautiful beach day! Tip... get off the ship EARLY if you want a lounge chair with a view of the water otherwise you'll be staring at the back of someone's head all day. The food here is passable (much like Carnival cruise line.)

Took a taxi to Balneario Escambrion (Escambrion beach) Nice little beach with lots of space. Dropped the kids off at the kids club on the ship after the beach and then walked around San Juan. Easy to walk around (but hilly) right from the pier.
Read 1353 San Juan Reviews

Took a Taxi to Magen's Bay. Tip...when you get to the beach turn left an walk about 200 yards if you want a little space. Right where the taxis drop you off it's a madhouse!
Read 2318 St. Thomas Reviews