Carnival Magic Cruise Review by PorkChops: Oh Oh Oh It's Magic!

PorkChops
Member Since 2013
1 Post

Compare Prices on Carnival Magic Western Caribbean Cruises

Oh Oh Oh It's Magic!

Sail Date: January 2013
Embarkation: Galveston

First off, I have to start by stating that the entertainment staff really made this an extraordinary cruise for my family. I could list them each with a great story of how they really made this a special cruise. I was sad to hear that it was the end of most of their contracts. I'd go back on the Magic just for the top notch entertainment staff.

My only negative comment regarding this ship is regarding the dining. While the Magic has more buffets than some other ships, they never utilized them all. Typically I'd notice 4 buffet lines with the same food, none of which was very appealing to me. I don't need fancy foods at every turn to impress me, just a simple grilled chicken breast on the buffet would've been nice. The setup of the buffets really did not allow for traffic to flow through smoothly. However, I thoroughly enjoyed the breakfast buffer every morning.

We only utilized the dining room three nights with anytime dining. The first formal night we really had super More slow service, but otherwise no complaints. Our second night in the dining room I truly felt like a burden to the wait staff. We were placed in a section that was already cleaning up, and our waiter didn't even bother to attempt to be nice. However, this was all forgotten on the second formal night. Gerald, our waiter, truly was the nicest and funniest waiter I've EVER had. He was extremely sweet and seemed to genuinely care that we enjoyed our dinner.

The shows were semi-interesting, I've never been a huge fan of any ships shows. However, the singer Luke Yellin, was absolutely amazing. I honestly have no clue what this guy is doing on a Carnival ship.

The comedy club had good acts, nothing spectacular. I'm easy to please and got a nice laugh out of all four comedians.

Overall, this was my sixth Carnival cruise, and my absolute favorite. It really showed me how an entertainment staff can really make or break a cruise. Less

Read more Carnival Magic cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Magic Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Magic Interior Upper 6483

Interior 4 person room on Deck 6. We were directly above the comedy club, but never heard even a slight bit of noise from it. This room has two sets of bunks, and seemed slightly smaller than other Carnival ships that I've been on of other classes.

We originally planned on going to the Mayan Ruins, but that was cancelled due to bad weather. Having been to this port multiple times before, we just decided to spend the afternoon on the ship and not get hassled by store owners.
Read 3123 Cozumel Reviews

Island Tour

(4)
The island tour we took included 4 stops: Pedro St. James, Rum Cake Factory, Hell, and Seven Mile Beach. Our tour guide (I forget his name) was extremely nice and was happy to be honest with us. I didn't feel like he wanted any pity like I've seen at other ports on tours. We got a flat tire in Hell (yes, we were stuck in Hell). Even with the flat tire, we still had an excellent time and felt like this was worth the $50 per person for approximately 4 1/2 hours.

We spent the afternoon at Doctor's Cave Beach. The taxi ride there from the pier was $5 per person, and it was $6 per person to go on the beach. The water was beautiful (cold) and we thoroughly enjoyed this $11 excursion.