Marina Cruise Review by tx2step: A1 All the Way

A1 All the Way

Sail Date: December 2012
Destination: South Pacific
Embarkation: Rio de Janeiro

This was my husband's and my second cruise with Oceania (or second and third since it was 37 days) We went from Rio to Papeete and enjoyed every minute. I consider the Marina a Five Star hotel on the ocean. These folks know how to cater to their guests. We have done lots of traveling all over the world.

We loved all the dining options and used them all. We had the same delightful window table for two in the main dining room most nights for dinner. Our wait staff knew us and what we liked. A little secret, get to know your wait staff .If we didn't like what was on the menu (not very often)we discussed what we wanted and by Magic what we wanted appeared.

Pre and Post things are costly with Oceania. If you are comfortable, book your own. We had a leisurely breakfast the morning we docked in Papeete. We walked off the ship, easily found our bags, grabbed a cab,and went to the Radison where we had a day room. The Radison is old and showing some wear but very clean. We had More a delightful second floor room looking out on the ocean. In the evening we took another cab to the airport to join the chaos. All was easy and very well priced.

Another warning - yes the Oceania tours may be expensive, but they are good, easy, and you know what your getting. In out of the way places, unless you book early, the cruise ships use up all available assets,and you may be out of luck. Also I talked to some who booked here on line with others and they were not happy. Just saying buyer beware, it does happen.

Finally I must address the complaints about the health care. As a nurse I've never seen so many medically challenged folks (I'm trying to be polite)on one ship! The staff of the Marina took great care of them and their needs. As for getting sick, sorry, but you are cruising in the winter. This year has been a very bad cold and flu season. Your fellow cruiser brought it on the ship. Have you ever tried to herd a bunch of wild cats (I think that is how the staff felt trying to keep the sick in their rooms). To the person who got sick, did you stay in your room away from others or did you go on your coughing cruising way?
Each day in the ship's paper was the advice "frequently use hand sanitizer". Its the same advice you'd get from you doctor on land. The ship's medical personnel can not give out info on others (it's called HIPPA in the US - look it up) I think the ONE person who got air lifted off the boat at 2am was happy that that option was available. From what I saw of the condition of some cruisers being wheeled on the Marina, I'm very surprised it didn't happen nightly. Whenever cruising, especially in the winter, bring along anything you use at home for colds, coughs, cuts etc. You may not find it on the ship (or it may be very expensive). If you really get sick, expect it's really going to hurt in the wallet, complain all you want, where else are you going to go in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. Would you rather they not be there.

Without a doubt, we will be cruising Oceania again Less