MSC Poesia Cruise Review by Bettyboop66

MSC Poesia
Member Name: Bettyboop66
Cruise Date: January 2013
Cabin Category: 7
See More About: MSC Poesia Cruise Reviews | Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | MSC Cruises Cruise Deals
Entertainment 5+
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Ship Facts: MSC Poesia Review (by Cruise Critic!) | MSC Poesia Deck Plans
Much better than expected!!!!
We chose to sail on MSC because my father-in-law wanted to take a theme cruise. He saw a commercial for a Polka cruise with Jimmy Sturr. My in-laws will not cruise unless my husband and I go with them, so we thought why not? I had actually never even heard of MSC cruises before this. So of course, I went straight to my computer and Cruise Critic to start my research on the MSC Poesia. I was nervous after I started reading the reviews. I couldn't find very many good things about the ship. But my husband, myself and my in-laws are pretty easy to please so I was trying to stay positive. Afterall, anytime I'm not at work and on a cruise is a good time.

We arrived at the port around 11:15, after parking getting rid of the luggage and finding the entrance for check-in we walked in to at least 20 check-in desks and NO line. We checked-in had a seat and were onboard by 12:30 or so. Our cabin was ready so we dropped our carry-ons off and headed to a bar. We never had a drink that we didn't enjoy. Very well made and fast, friendly service.

Next it was time for lunch, this is where I really got nervous. I was expecting cold, bad food at the buffet, didn't happen. Everything was fine. We ate breakfast and lunch at the buffet almost everyday. There was nice variety, most everything I had was good and not cold at all. Pasta choices were always great, and I had some of the best salads and cold cuts EVER. Also, everyday at lunch in the dessert section, there was a small individual cheesecake that was some of the best I've ever had.

The desserts at dinner were O.K. We actually enjoyed the buffet desserts better. Was the food always perfect? No. But nothing bad enough to ruin my cruise or even my meal. I will say anything Italian that we ate was EXCELLENT.

The stateroom was nice, maybe a little smaller than some. Good storage, very clean, and some of the best beds we've had on a ship. No smoking on the balconies and that was great. We were actually able to sit out there for a change. Anything we asked for was handled quickly and with a smile.

The ship itself is also very clean. Crew were cleaning everywhere. But you never walked past one that didn't stop, give you a smile and say hello. One thing that we didn't like about the ship, on the promenade deck there were no chairs. This is a favorite place for my husband to sit, he doesn't like sitting by the pool, and he really missed it.

The entertainment staff was absolutely the best we've ever had. I like to sit at the pool and watch the pool games. I've never joined in until now. They were good enough that even I played a game. If you knew me, you would know how amazing that is. They tried very hard to get everyone involved and having fun. Even at the Polka shows there were at least 3 or 4 of them there ready to chat or dance.

Disembarkation went very smoothly. They were very organized with it.

Was this our favorite cruise ever? No. But it wasn't our least favorite either. MSC does a lot of things right, I would sail with them again in a minute.

Publication Date: 02/08/13