Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by CHICOMALO

Celebrity Summit
Celebrity Summit
Member Name: CHICOMALO
Cruise Date: May 2012
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Destination: Bermuda
Cabin Category: 1A
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
Dining 5+
Public Rooms 5+

BIRTHDAY CELEBRATION CRUISE
My wife and I sailed on the "Summit" in May 2011 and wanted to return after the ship was "solsticized". We decided this would be the perfect family cruise to celebrate my mother's 90th birthday! We booked through Yankee Trails World Travel which provides a shuttle bus from Rensselaer, NY directly to the port (Bayonne, NJ). This is so convenient for us as we live close to the travel agency. Upon arrival, embarkation was swift and hassle free, and we were soon enjoying lunch at the buffet.

STATEROOMS: Our staterooms were ready at 1:30pm. We had 3 rooms (my wife and I; my mother and aunt; my brother and sister-in-law) which were all

deluxe staterooms with verandahs. We immediately noticed the upgraded decor. All of us enjoyed our rooms and found them to be comfortable with plenty of storage space. Our only (minor) complaint was the shower still had a plastic curtain. Our stateroom attendant (Securrio) was very friendly and efficient and kept us well supplied with ice.

DINING: We had late seating in the Cosmopolitan MDR and all the meals were excellent. My wife is still raving about the coq au vin she had on the first night! Service was very good from our waiter (Riawan). I can't recall the assistant waiter's name, but he was also wonderful, as was our sommelier (Lamai). We dined in The Normandie specialty restaurant one night and it was a great experience - definitely worth the up charge! Three of us had the lobster dish prepared table-side and it was to die for!! On this trip we passed on room service and had breakfast together in the MDR each morning - a great way to start our day!

ENTERTAINMENT: We attended the "Welcome Aboard" show which highlighted the weeks entertainment. This was how we became fans of guitarist Nestor Santurio and enjoyed his playing at every opportunity, even purchased his cds. All the other shows we attended were of high quality.

Activities: We loved the thalassotherapy pool in the solarium and my mother(90) and aunt(87) enjoyed the casino. Some nights they stayed up later than us while they played the slots!

PORT: King's Wharf, Bermuda is quite nice for shopping at Clocktower Mall and the little train shuttle is very convenient. We also briefly checked out Snorkel Park which was nice. On our next visit we will have to spend more time there.

SHORE EXCURSIONS: On our first day in Bermuda my wife and I went on a bus tour(booked through the ship) to Crystal Caves, aquarium and zoo which was interesting and a lot of fun. It's a good thing my mother and aunt didn't go with us, as there was

quite a bit of walking involved including many wet, slippery steps down and back in the caves.

On the 2nd day in port we took the ferry to St. George, a beautiful town with nice shops. We had lunch at the White Horse Pub and were entertained by local boys diving into the water.

Which leads us to the final day in port and the highlight of our cruise. We independently booked a 3 1/2 hour taxi tour with Jay Tucker(phone 1 441 704-2004; or Jtucker2024@gmail.com) He showed us many beautiful locations and was funny, charming and kind. I can't say enough about how much we enjoyed his tour. Highly recommended! He even gave us a quiz at the end!!

All and all, this was a wonderful cruise and a great way to celebrate my mother's birthday! The food and entertainment were exceptional and all the staff were friendly and attentive.

My wife and I are sailing on the new Celebrity "Reflection" this April for our 20th anniversary. We can't wait!!

Publication Date: 02/04/13