Celebrity Solstice Cruise Review by Steve C H: Better than expected for a first timer

Steve C H
Member Since 2013

Compare Prices on Celebrity Solstice Australia & New Zealand Cruises

Better than expected for a first timer

Sail Date: January 2013
Destination: Australia & New Zealand
Embarkation: Sydney (Australia)

I cannot make any comparison with other cruises as this is my first experience. But compared to other land tours or bus tours, this is a much better way to travel and holiday. But if you want to explore a foreign country in depth, then forget about it, as you only have around ten hours at each port, some are even miles away from the major cities.

The size of the room is quite decent, but the design do not provide any space for you to put your luggage. Luckily there is still a big sofa there. But once you put both of your luggage on the sofa, then you can only sit on the bed. So we have to basically empty one of the luggage so that it can be stand in the corner to left some space to sit. This is probably the best part of a cruise holiday, you do not need to pack your luggage every morning. The service is good, a five star hotel standard. Better than a lot of hotels offered by land tours.

The theater is huge. The entertainment on average is very good. I couple of the More performers are real good. But of course, everybody has his own interest. I do not like the talk shows, I just found them boring and stupid.

There are three swimming pools, but other than these, there are not too much else you can do during the days at sea, especially for the younger and active ones. The lawn is a bit waste of space as not too many people are using it. In door entertainment areas are a bit small. But when there was music playing, it did give it a cozy feel.

The food there on average is very good. The main dinning room offers excellent quality of food and service. With fix seat dinning, the waiters already remembered everybody name on the second day. And if you other the same drink for the first two nights, the drink will be on the table waiting for you every night. The only drawback is the seafood dishes are not as good as the meat dishes. It seems that the defrosting process in the kitchen cannot keep up to the standard consistently.

The quality of food in the cafe is only average to good. But I have never expect too much for a buffet style food.

The food of two specialty restaurants, the Tuscan Grill and Murano, are excellent. But you do not really need to pay the extra money as the main dining restaurant already can offer you excellent food and service. But still, it is nice to have something different other than having 12 dinners in the same place. The third one, the Silk Harvest is a disappointment. It offers a mix of different Asian dishes from different Asian countries. But unfortunately, not too many of the dishes are up to the standard for as Asian like me. It seems that was the same problem in their handling of the seafood. For example, the sushi was pale and tasteless. I think they better off to concentrate in one single cuisine, such as Japanese, Chines, or Indian.

Other than some minor misses, I do enjoy the holiday very much. I have talked to a few people in the cruise who have done other cruises before, 4 out of 5 said that this is the best cruise they have. For me, I will definitely go for another one, and this will still be one on top of my list. But I will probably try some other ones so that I can have a comparison for myself. Less

Read more Celebrity Solstice cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Solstice Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Solstice Oceanview Stateroom Sunrise Deck (7)

Great view, very good room service, need a properly designed space to put two pieces of luggage