Celebrity Equinox Cruise Review by true45: Equinox lovers, I see what you mean

true45
Member Since 2010

Compare Prices on Celebrity Equinox Southern Caribbean Cruises

Equinox lovers, I see what you mean

Sail Date: January 2013
Destination: Southern Caribbean

I don't mean to dis the other Celebrity ships -- we loved the Millenium, Century, Horizon, Solstice and some parts of our Eclipse sailing. We even tried Princess just to see if it was "just like Celebrity" -- definitely not.

Embarkation painless.

Balcony cabin works well with great storage in bathroom. Nice glass doors & handy bar for putting your legs up on to shave. The only thing I missed was my trusy hand-held shower head which Celebrity offers in AquaClass & above only. For an 11-night cruise I was able to store my gear with no problem. We had bed near the bath with nice sofa and coffee table near the sliding door. Enjoyed the view many beautiful days and full moons. Cabin steward terrific. You can check your bill every day on the tv -- also good channels, fox news, bbc, msnbc, cnn, tbs, movies on demand free and pay.

The MDR dinner food was exceptional -- best on our 17 cruises. Celebrity certainly has gotten its act together -- or is it just More this great ship, not sure. Service fine. There was also Aqua Spa Cafe for healthy meals open embarkation day and every day breakfast & lunch -- they cook fish & chicken to order for lunch -- lovely spot in the Solarium. Buffet was nice - varied, not crowded.

Cafe al Baccio - complementary treats, pastries, etc. but paid for cappuchino - often had strings entertainment. Had the freshest almond croissants and fruit tarts.

Entertainment:
Loved the guest entertainers, John Walker, singer
Dahn the Piano Man, Liberace-like enjoyable
Mariachi band & dancers - came onboard in Cozumel for poolside fun
Fred Klett - comedian family-type funny
Inspiration Strings - trio classical & pop wonderful
Ivory & Steel - island type music & more - good music

Equinox showband with Dahn's arrangements was excellent but in their own set on formal night was playing dated, boring arrangements joined by A Cappella group singing Temptations, Beach Boys, etc with no understanding of the music -- I guess they never heard the real thing rushing through the songs like they were in a race.

Jazz band was good with the exception of the singer who said she was tired after 3 months -- she needs a vacation.

Party band didn't make me want to party - mechanical, going through the motions, especially the lead female singer.

There was lots to do if you wanted activity - contests between officers & PAX, trivia, wine tastings, one crafts demo, pool games, etc.

We skipped the glass blowing this trip but heard it was excellent.

Peeked into the production show - dancers & singers seemed talented but shows a bit dated. Saw the Cirque show on a previous cruise -- very good but wish they would retire it & get something more to add that is fresh & new.

No chairhogs and plenty of nice places to sit in comfy chairs in shade or sun The ship did not seem crowded at all. Officers were visible and friendly. The Customer Service desk had more personnel than people needing help except for the last night, they might not have job security :)

Tried 3 ships excursions

Cartegna, Columbia - would not do this again. Guide did not give good information on the tour and we drove around not nice areas, stopped at an old building with what seemed like fresh paint on the floor and were told to go into another room for a short show. There was no explanation of who the musicians and dancers were or what the dance was about. I asked her but did not get a good answer. We saw a fort with little commentary and were taken to a shopping area.

Costa Rica Golden Coffee Bean tour -- probably the best tour we've ever taken with Veronica our guide narrating for 2 hrs through the mountains of banana plants, volcano, houses, etc. to Coffee plantation, then Costa Rican lunch at Hacienda hotel delicious and on the way back a stop to get "finger bananas" for the passengers, Fun.

Belize private island beach break - taken by tender to lovely island, not crowded but chairs very uncomfortable, water rocky, couldn't find promised water mat. Would give 3 out of 5. Shade or sun available.

Norovirus on the ship about 1/2 way through but did not get sick. I believe the crew did their best to clean everything constantly.

I would definitely recommend Equinox. Less

Read more Celebrity Equinox cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Equinox Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Equinox Deluxe Ocean View W/ Veranda Sunrise Deck (7)

We had 7236 - Equinox with Balcony. Quiet - noone above us, great location.

We took the Bannister Island Beach Break. It was just OK. Island was pretty with beautiful water, not crowded but chairs hard & uncomfortable, beach rocky and did not get the promised water mat.

City Tour

(1)
Poor information from guide, boring tour, no good picture of Cartagena

We have been here b4 - just went to Green Frog for a drink & internet. Relaxing right on the dock.