Norwegian Epic Cruise Review by goldenkid65

Member Name: goldenkid65
Cruise Date: January 2013
Cabin Category: B1

Norwegian Epic Experience
We just got back from a 7 night cruise on the Norwegian Epic. We sailed out of Miami and had 2 days at sea. We arrived at St Maarten, then to St Thomas. We had a final day at sea and then hit Nassau. The ship is beautiful. The food was amazing, and this is coming from a self proclaimed foodie. The entertainment was also very good. There was always something to do. And the spa and gym were ample. Our housekeeper Roberto was phenomenal. He was super accomodating and greeted us every morning with a smile and well wishes, even remembering our names!

On the negative side, there were a few things that rubbed me and my group of 12 the wrong way. The first thing is the scam at the spa. I had a hot stone massage and the masseuse tried to sell me $650 dollars worth of product that would get rid of my cellulite and also the "rocks in my shoulders" (I think he meant tight traps). I came home and googled and found that this was something that was done on different ships. The massage was wonderful, but the scam at the end spoiled the fun for me.

The second thing that really erked us is the bar service. While the wait staff in the restaurants with a extra cost were very accommodating, the bar staff just acted annoyed with us. We purchased the bar package, for $350 for the week plus 15% gratuity added, which equaled about $400 for the week. I don't know if this is what annoyed them, but we tipped over and still could rarely get a smile out of them. For us, going on vacation means being treated "special" and we did not get that at all. Not sure if their boss Dave Sheehan being on Undercover Boss had anything to do with their tight-lipped flat affect.

The third issue was the internet cafe. We were trying to print our boarding passes up, at $4.00 to log on and 75 cents a minute, the computer froze up and racked up $27 before I could find one person to help fix the situation. The i-concierge service was BS. It was an app for your droid or iphone you could use to contact others on the ship, but never worked. $7.95 down the drain x 12 equals another $96 they basically stole from us!!!

And the final issue was the room. We had an aft facing balcony and it was super small. I mean tight. And the shower and head were at the end of the room where the door was. So if the housekeeper or room service knocked when the other person was taking a shower or using the bathroom, you could see their sillouette. The head had a frosted glass door and it was a bit uncomfortable if you had to go when the other person was sleeping because you can hear everything. I was with my husband, but have a little bit of modesty and would rather have privacy while doing my business. I can't imagine sharing a room like this with someone you are not intimately familiar with. There was a lot of hidden storage, which was cool, but I kept forgetting where I put stuff. The light switches were in odd places and there was only one outlet for electronics.

So all in all, I am not sure I would do this NCL cruiseline again, because the room was so small it got really annoying. I think we will stick with the all inclusive resorts or villas and get the space and special treatment we prefer. Being herded around like cattle is not what I call a fabulous vacation!!!

Publication Date: 02/06/13