Adventure of the Seas Cruise Review by CruiseGuy75

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Adventure of the Seas Cruise Review by CruiseGuy75
Adventure of the Seas
Adventure of the Seas
Member Name: CruiseGuy75
Cruise Date: January 2013
Embarkation: San Juan
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Cabin Category: D2
See More About: Adventure of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Southern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals

Honeymoon Crowd
I have cruised on 5 other Royal Caribbean cruises before. Certainly after 25 total sailings and just shy of 200 days at sea I should know what is normal and abnormal about a cruise. I am also a Gold Member of the Frequent Cruiser Club with Royal Caribbeans Crown and Anchor Society

To top it off this was our honeymoon. (my first)

The ship was in great shape pre-renovation, and I have no problems at all with the vessel itself. In fact it is a marvelous ship. What used to be the biggest in 2000 is now only a Mid Sized ship in today's world.

Problem #1 was of an epic level.

I spent $300 for a paid of relaxing massages our last day at sea for my new bride and myself. It included spa treatments as well. After an truly magnificent massage my new wife and I went downstairs to prepare for part 2 of our "Super Romantic Evening" that I had planned. We were to get dressed up, on formal night,and go eat at the specialty restaurant on board called Portofino. our reservation was a little over 1 hour away. Upon arriving at the room our key would not unlock our door. Yes, we had the right cabin, and yes we called for service. 10 minutes later a mechanic showed up to inform us that the battery had died in the unit and it had to be replaced. He also told us he was not the correct staff member to take care of that. -Strike 1-

So we waited for 10 more minutes for another technician who said the same thing and called another.... meanwhile we are passed in the hallway (wearing only swim wear and spa attire - with grease in our hair from scalp massages) while people started walking by us, dressed in tuxedo's and evening gowns. We are stick outside our cabin for over an hour, and a very angry visit to customer service desk.

Finally after what seemed like hours the door was opened. The battery to the locking mechanism had to be changed which called for an entirely new lock. We had to shower and get ready for dinner which we were already an hour + late for though. So with the door open and technicians in our room, we stripped and got in the shower together, which is not an easy fit for two people.

We dressed and got ready and went to dinner as quickly as possible.

After the romance was ruined by this delay and after our dinner and evening entertainment was complete I went, as instructed, to customer service desk to get our new keys. Check this out..... THE NEW KEYS ALSO DIDN'T OPEN OUR DOOR.

-STRIKE 2- So I went again very irate to customer service and they called another technician. He went and striped new cards for us and I looked him in the eyes when he gave them to me and said "They are both working and you are sure?" He said yes and we went to sleep.

The next day it was discovered that only one of the keys worked and my new wife had the one that didn't work. **STRIKE 3** After over 4 hours dealing with such a small issue, and all the waiting in line at the customer service desk..... I just decided to let this one little problem ruin my entire cruise.... and not seek to have it resolved further.

SUCH A LITTLE THING AS THIS CAN EASILY DISRUPT WHAT WOULD HAVE BEEN A VERY ROMANTIC EVENING FOR MY NEW WIFE AND I. FOR MY TROUBLES I WAS OFFERED A $50 ON BOARD CREDIT TO MY ACCOUNT (yea) BUT LETS BE HONEST HERE.... I WOULD NEVER HAVE SPEND $300 IN THE SPA AND ANOTHER $80+ ON THE SPECIAL DINNER HAD I KNOWN THIS WAS GOING TO HAPPEN.

We did have a great time on our cruise, but the staff was unable to fix little problems as such, which greatly turned me off this amazing cruise line. I should certainly hope the battery in your door lock doesn't die because if it does it will take hours in line, multiple technicians, and anger to solve the problem...... if your lucky.

I am not by any means at all saying I didn't have a good time, or that I would never cruise RCI again..... I just will remember this as one of the worst experiences ever on any of my 25 cruises ever. Both in the experience and in the way it was handled.

-We left the ship the last day still with only 1 key working-