Norwegian Gem Cruise Review by mcfreck: Never Again

Member Since 2007

Compare Prices on Norwegian Gem Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Never Again

Sail Date: January 2013
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

First, let me say that the cruise itself would have been great if not for my fellow passengers. The staff were friendly and efficient. The entertainment was good, and there were lots of activities to keep one busy during sea days. The food was good with some outstanding selections.

Now for the horror story.

Embarkation was a long process. We got to the port about 11:30 and was on the ship by 1:00 p.m. However, passengers who arrived after 1:00 p.m. faced a three hour wait. NCL did not have enough personnel checking passengers in.

Unfortunately some private schools were on break. I understand that there were over 700 children on board. These children were the worst behaved kids I have ever encountered. They ran wild on the ship, constantly knocking into you in the buffet, or pushing ahead of you to get food. When you tried to get off an elevator, they pushed on before you could get off. You could not attend a show or a venue because there were kids More running all over the dance floors, sitting on steps in the theater, and raising hell all over the ship. Rudeness was the norm. I am sorry to say, some parents were as bad as the children.

A wonderful cruise was ruined due to the lack of politeness or consideration by many of the passengers.

Disembarkation was a horror. Immigration was on the ship. We were told that the terminal was unusable due to Hurricane Sandy. People lined up to get off the ship with walk off baggage. Stairways were crowded and you could not exit elevators due to the fact that the hallways were packed with angry passengers. It took us three hours to get off the ship. People were screaming and yelling. I was run over three times by people pushing their luggage. Once my luggage fell over and as I bent to pick it up a man ran into my legs with his luggage and kept going without even "I'm sorry."

I am a native New Yorker and I am very embarrassed by the actions and rudeness of my fellow New Yorkers. Never again will I sail from NYC. Less

Read more Norwegian Gem cruise reviews >>