Adventure of the Seas Cruise Review by Hvacguy131: RCL- Adventure of the Seas

RCL- Adventure of the Seas

Sail Date: January 2013
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Embarkation: San Juan

Very beautiful ship with clean lines and classy elegance for an older ship. I will write about the usual topics but will start with the only real negative of the cruise.

Apparently from Dec 15th to jan 15th or so, the island of Puerto Rico is on Christmas break. Our ship total passenger count was about 75% of the island residents. Normally I would have no problem with anyone on board the ship. I have been told before that PR residents are not the most polite people in regards to manners. The daily struggles with elevators are nothing new on board any ship but, this trip was horrible. We would be standing in line for an elevator for many minutes and a group would walk up from around the corner and simply barge on to the elevator and cut you off. It got to the point that i started standing in the doorway to prevent them from cutting in line. This was a daily and multiple times per day event that Had me boiling by the end of the trip!! I will NOT ever go on a cruise out More of San Juan during that time period again.

Embarkation- Really fast as we were there at 12 pm. There was already a line to get on, but they were very fast in this process. Only note, check your sea pass card and make sure you get yours. My wife got someone else's and had to return to counter to get corrected.

Ship- Very nice ship with no major issues of any kind!! Ice rink was very cool and overall decor was nice. Promenade was neat and was right out our window of our interior cabin.

Room- Interior cabin 8595 over the promenade. Very clean and comfy room. Little less room than we have been used to. Wife and I were stepping on each other many times. Nice little sitting area by the window overlooking the promenade. If you are a light sleeper, than might stay away from these rooms. The late night dance party and other late night events can be heard from room. It didn't last long and didn't bother me. Dining- Buffet was a little disappointing. Only had maybe a couple choices each time that even looked good to me. I am not a picky eater but, it has been better on other cruises. Small omelet station was not even noticed by me until the 2nd to last day. Very disappointed about that, but they were very good omelets. Main dining was pretty good with most selections being very well prepared and tasty. Avoid the steak on the daily selection of the menu. Waiter even said to avoid. It was tough and not a good cut of meat. Desserts were pretty good and had ice cream with most meals. Very good service with Romualdo and "Roxy" as our ever attentive and always smiling help staff. Always got us our little extras we liked each night. No specialty dining for us. Nothing on the menu warranted an extra charge from me.

Entertainment- I actually enjoyed most of the entertainment each night and was awed at the ice show, which is a must see!! Good shows and comedians were all funny.

Overall this trip was a very good experience and would definitely travel with RCL again. Avoid the days listed above and you will as well. Ports were all great and would recommend stopping at them. Less

Read more Adventure of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Adventure of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Adventure of the Seas Interior Stateroom Deck 8 8595

Beach Break

(5)
Rented a car in port from a local car rental place for $50 for the day. Nice enough car with AC. Went to baby beach and did a little sight seeing. Nice little beach with locals playing in the water. Very blue water!! Little cool out so the ladies didn't go swimming. Went down the coast and went to the natural bridge area. Some incredible scenery with the huge waves crashing on shore. Continued on to see the casabari rock formations which was pretty neat. Rough stairs and climbing might not be for the elderly at this spot. Huge boulders in the middle of a neighborhood. Headed up to the Arashi beach area. Nice spot with pretty water but unfortunately every time we got out to go swimming after this point it rained on us. Girls wanted none of that so we skipped most of the beach time we had been hoping for. Beautiful sandy beaches that are definitely worth seeing. Note if you rent a car; the roads have little to no road markers which make navigatin even with a map very difficult. Wasted at least an hour of the day getting lost on the roads. Ugh!! Good thing we were in port til 10 PM.

Snorkeling

(5)
Once again rented a car and drove up to hit all of the beaches that we could along the SW coast. Grote knip and Playa Jeremi were among our favorites. Spent a few dollars to go to private beach at south end and had some great snorkeling and very nice beach. Curacao had the most beautiful blue water out of any place we have visited yet. Pictures don't do it justice!!

Just did some shopping in the port area. Had some very good shopping and would recommend using here for any jewelry purchases. Nice port area and not bothered by too many vendors. Very windy day in port and would have been tough doing any water or sailing activities.

St. John Tour

(5)
Hopped a ferry ride from the cruise ship over to St. john. Used the island tour booked from the ship to get a good price and no island traffic to contend with. Rented a hard rubber zodiac and cruised down the coast hitting some of the bays along the way. Went down to Waterlemon Cay which was the best snorkeling we had. It was a little rough that day and would have been perfect if it had been smoother. A lot of fun for 4 people and a neat way to see the island and it's beautiful water in a different way.