Pride of America Cruise Review by cat0603

Embarkation: Honolulu
Destination: Hawaii
Cabin Category: BC

Pride of America Disappointing
We sailed from Honolulu on Pride of America January 12-19. The sailing experience and ports of call were fabulous. However, we were unable to open the sliding door to our balcony. There were no problems with the balcony door in our party's connecting room. We called maintenance, and they came twice. By the third day of our cruise, we could partially open the door, but it took the two of us to do so. Since we paid extra for the balcony stateroom, I thought this was unacceptable. There were also two drawers that could not be opened until Maintenance repaired the glides.

The food was just okay, but pretty standard fare for today's cruises. However, the fillets in the Lazy J Texas Steakhouse lacked flavor and were chewy. Since the cover charge was $25 each, this was disappointing. The food in the Italian Restaurant was very good.

The service was not as good as we've experienced on prior cruises, but I attribute that to the policy of automatically charging gratuities to your stateroom rather than your server trying to please you.

I loved cruising the Hawaiian islands, and being able to use our cellphones every day while the ship was docked in port since we were still in America.

Our credit cards were charged $78.67 and $158.45 respectively on the day we disembarked, though neither of us purchased anything that wasn't on our final invoice. When I called NCL, I was told those were customary credit holds that would be released 3 days after trip, though they couldn't explain how they got the amounts. However, the charges are still on my card 10 days later, and I have never been billed for unidentified charges on any of 8 prior cruises.

We probably won't use NCL for our next cruise, although I loved the fact that PoA was registered as an American ship so that it could cruise the Hawaiian islands without having to visit a foreign port.

Publication Date: 01/30/13