Pride of America Cruise Review by cat0603: Pride of America Disappointing

Pride of America Disappointing

Sail Date: January 2013
Destination: Hawaii
Embarkation: Honolulu

We sailed from Honolulu on Pride of America January 12-19. The sailing experience and ports of call were fabulous. However, we were unable to open the sliding door to our balcony. There were no problems with the balcony door in our party's connecting room. We called maintenance, and they came twice. By the third day of our cruise, we could partially open the door, but it took the two of us to do so. Since we paid extra for the balcony stateroom, I thought this was unacceptable. There were also two drawers that could not be opened until Maintenance repaired the glides.

The food was just okay, but pretty standard fare for today's cruises. However, the fillets in the Lazy J Texas Steakhouse lacked flavor and were chewy. Since the cover charge was $25 each, this was disappointing. The food in the Italian Restaurant was very good.

The service was not as good as we've experienced on prior cruises, but I attribute that to the policy of automatically charging More gratuities to your stateroom rather than your server trying to please you.

I loved cruising the Hawaiian islands, and being able to use our cellphones every day while the ship was docked in port since we were still in America.Our credit cards were charged $78.67 and $158.45 respectively on the day we disembarked, though neither of us purchased anything that wasn't on our final invoice. When I called NCL, I was told those were customary credit holds that would be released 3 days after trip, though they couldn't explain how they got the amounts. However, the charges are still on my card 10 days later, and I have never been billed for unidentified charges on any of 8 prior cruises.

We probably won't use NCL for our next cruise, although I loved the fact that PoA was registered as an American ship so that it could cruise the Hawaiian islands without having to visit a foreign port. Less

Read more Pride of America cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Pride of America Review >>

Cabin review: Pride of America Oceanview Stateroom With Balcony Deck Nine 8584

The cabin was well laid out, with enough storage space for two women using twin beds. I love having a balcony on cruises to view arriving or leaving ports or just watching and listening to the sea. Cabin #8584 was amazingly quiet, and the sailing was so smooth we sometimes wondered if we were moving. I just wish they made sure the doors and drawers opened properly before we set sail.

Volcano National Park & Hilo Waterfall Tour

(5)
Booking the luxury van rather than taking a bus was a great decision and well worth the price difference. Our guide Rett for the Exclusive Waterfalls and Rainforest tour took us places a large bus could not go, and we didn't have to wait for others and have a hard time hearing what he had to say.

Airplane Tour

(5)
The plane tour was much smoother and more quiet than seeing the island by helicopter, and the pilot gave us a lot of information about the island.

Na Pali Coast

(5)
Beautiful sights, incredible food prepared by chef on board Southern Star for the dinner sunset sail, even though the swells were pretty rough. We pre-arranged taxi service for $60 each way (split between 5 people) with Akiko's Taxi since our tour was across the island. They had a modern van, were on time, and we were very pleased.

Beautiful oceanfront homes and fabulous food at all three homes. Absolutely best excursion.
Read 165 Kona Reviews

Snorkeling

(4)
We didn't see as many varieties of fish on Molokai as we expected and no turtles at the other location, but the boat and crew were great. They followed whale sightings, and we saw our first full breach.

Whale Watching

(5)
First experience seeing whales, and we loved it. However, we saw whales on every island when we were on or near the water.