Carnival Magic Cruise Review by Texas Moomba: Carnival Magic - Not What I expected

Texas Moomba
Member Since 2008

Compare Prices on Carnival Magic Western Caribbean Cruises

Carnival Magic - Not What I expected

Sail Date: January 2013
Embarkation: Galveston

Let me start off saying that even with the rainy days, we had a overall enjoyable cruise. It was relaxing and the snorkeling in Roatan was fabulous. We sailed out of Galveston on January 20th. 2013.

For me the Magic is too big. that extra 1000 people over the Conquest made a big difference. The service in the main dining room was very disappointing. Our food server and her TWO helpers were hard to find. Several nights my wife would order two starters and only would receive one of them. One night I had a baked potato and asked for extra butter and sour cream. Our head waitress pointed to the butter dish on the table and said the butter was right there. I never saw any sour cream, dispite asking a second time for it.

Our head waitress was very nice and learned our name very fast, but dispite that she just didn't seem to want to go that extra mile to really make our dining experience special.

There is more than enough lounge chairs on this ship to More accomadate everyone.

When we reached Belize, we were told NOT to venture outside the terminal compound. That is was dangerous. We booked an excursion with Sea Sport Belize and had to walk to their store for a snorkeling tour because the street in front of the terminal was under construction. The walk was less than 5 minutes. When we arrived, it was raining and the people at the Sea Sport Belize gave us an option to cancel with a full refund due to the bad weather. They were very nice about it and I had a email from PayPal by Monday the 28th. When we ventured out of the compound, we were apprehensive about doing so, but we found that the warning was unfounded and found that the people were very friendly and helpful.

When we got back to galveston, we were suppose to disembark at 7:30, we had VIP status in disembarking and we did not get to our car until 2:30 PM. A lot of people did not make their flights. Part of the problem was Customs and part of the problem was Carnival. Disembarkation was so bad, that I may not cruise out of Galveston on the Magic again.

NOTE: This is the very first time I have had to write a negitive review. I really don't like doing so, but I just had to this time. Less

Read more Carnival Magic cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Magic Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Magic Oceanview Main 2495

We booked a ocean view cabin on deck 2, back in the Port rear corner. It was suppose to be an extra large cabin, but not as big as the one we had on the Victory. We were a little disappointed, but it was still a larger cabin than when you book one along the side. We were also shorted one closet, which was an inconvenience, but we made do. I took pictures, but do not have them available on this computer that I'm writing this review on. I may do another post later on, with pictures.

Can't give Belize a rating, since we only saw the dive shop we had booked out tour through. Again this tour was not through Carnival. It was with Sea Sport Belize. Did not go on the tour, due to bad weather. We received a full refund and very promptly also. Carnival did put out a warning to passengers to NOT venture outside the terminal compound. We did, because we had to walk to the Sea Sport facilities and found that the warning was unjustified. The people were very friendly and helpful when we were returning to the ship.

We love Cozumel, so with that said we had a blast. We did not do an excursion, just walked around and bought souvenir's for us and our kids. Carnival does have a new cruise terminal to dock at , since our last visit and found that it is a $8 taxi ride to the main part of town. Very resonable. We asked one of our taxi drivers about a good restaurant and he immediately turned off the main drag and took us back into the middle of town and stopped back in a fairly clean neighborhood. Told us this was a very good restaurant. It was , sorry, can't remember the name, and we went in and had a very good meal for a very resonable price. Went and did some more shopping and then took a taxi back to the ship. Weather was very nice sun shining. If you get a chanse visit Passion Isle either through Carnival or through TripAdvisor. This is where they shoot all of the Corona commericals. It is beautiful. Snorkeling is great in Cozumel along with scuba diving.
Read 3120 Cozumel Reviews

Rain early in the day, but cleared later. Snorkeling, despite the cloudy skies was fabulous. Did a snorkeling tour, NOT through Carnival.
Read 1649 Roatan Reviews