Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by 1loves2travel: 30+ friends - 7 day S. Caribbean Cruise on Celebrity Summit

1loves2travel
Member Since 2013

Compare Prices on Celebrity Summit Southern Caribbean Cruises

30+ friends - 7 day S. Caribbean Cruise on Celebrity Summit

Sail Date: January 2013
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Embarkation: San Juan

In March 2012, over 30 friends booked the 7 day souther caribbean cruise on Celebrity for January 2013. We used a local agent to handle all bookings for flight, hotel & cruise itself. The discount received for the group booking was split among all travelers on the cruise.

We got home from this wonderful vacation just this passed weekend. We had a blast! With so many of us on this trip, there were plenty of avenues to share with one group of friends or another (or with someone we'd just met while on the cruise). From the time you get up in the morning, to every hour on the hour activities on board as well as the excursions offered at each port, then more activities & fun to be had again on board throughout the night! We laughed ourselves into tears!

In reading some of the reviews from people stating they "expected more" or felt their trip wasn't up to their liking..... shame on you! The comedian we saw while on this cruise was right.... some people will travel More thousands of miles just to complain. In my opinion, if any one somebody did not have a great trip then they did not take full advantage of new experiences, or should maybe book another kind of vacation.

Upgrade your room! It's a little bigger and does make a difference even if you feel you won't spend much time in your room - it's worth it.

Staff - awesome people through & through. From our stateroom attendant, to wait staff, officers, spa techs, doctor on board, entertainment staff, etc.

Purchase a drink package to fit your needs. It will save you money in the end.
Throughout the duration of the cruise we lounged in the sun, hung out in the pool, drank (a lot), ate (a lot), saw a few stage shows, gambled, played shuffle board & ping pong, experienced services at the spa, shopped, booked a dinner (upgrade - worth the money) one night at The Normandy which was great. Our day at sea, we put together a poker run (walk) to five of the bars with our group - lots of fun! Less

Read more Celebrity Summit cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Summit Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Summit Concierge Class Continental Deck (2) 8079

Glad we upgraded. Our room was perfect. Only 3 couples upgraded to this deck & all of us were very happy with accommodations. We had a great view, closet was just right, bathroom wasn't too small (my significant other is 6'5" & did just fine in this smaller area), additional perks such as snacks, champagne, Egyptian cotton robes/towels, tote bags were nice additions.

Least liked island on the list. The taxi people would not leave us alone! One guy decided he would make a mark on us & stayed right by our side even while we sat down to have a drink. He was wanting to charge us $150 for four of us to make three stops on the island. (For that price my car will take us from Chicago to Denver with money to spare for a hotel!) Others in our group did an excursion thru the cruise line to go zip-lining. They said it was great. The zip line part of it was a lot of fun, but took a bit of work hiking to each area to run the line. We did hire a taxi ($15 per person) to take us up to the falls, saw the snake man, sampled local exotic fruits, saw the hot springs, experienced sun showers while in the rain forest, and learned about the local history of the island. It was nice but..... If I should ever find myself visiting this island again, I will just hang out on the ship relaxing.
Read 491 Dominica Reviews

So I did not much care for this island as I believe our group did not go the best way from port, we made a left from the common area & later found out from others if we went right there was some good food & some pretty cool things to see. Again, another group of ours went diving and said it was real nice. If I should visit again, I will try going the opposite direction to see all the other things the island has to offer, or just lounge poolside on the ship.
Read 356 Grenada Reviews

Group of 10 went to port to look around. Upon arrival, we noted small shopping tents with handmade jewelry, clothes & various trinkets and/or home decor. We stopped into a small cafe which offered wireless internet. Walked around the main area only as there was not much more to see without booking an excursion. It was explained to us there used to be more, but a hurricane had wiped out much of the shore front years ago, and most people did not rebuild. The group of us wandered down the beach & found an outdoor lounging area near a bar & simply relaxed while enjoying cocktails & lots of laughter. It was a good time.

Scuba - certified

(4)
St. Kitts is one of my favorites. A few of us wandered the main shopping area while others went scuba diving (they said it was very nice). This is the island where every taxi driver wants to take you to the beach. Volcanic island with black sand & pink sand beaches. This is also the place where the locals will place a monkey on your shoulder, take your camera to take a pic then hold your camera hostage for payment. All in all, we had a good time here as well. This is where I did the majority of my shopping for family members.

Beach Break

(4)
Beautiful island! Locals on the island are very nice & accommodating as well as want you to have a good time there and offer many different things for you to see/do. We went to Sapphire Beach. It was beautiful. We were even going to pay extra to not go back with the rest of the people from the excursion by taking our own taxi back to the ship..... but a rainstorm came thru & we did go back with the others. Warning: do not purchase any lunch items without asking price. We were told the mahi sandwiches were great & could have them delivered by the wait staff right to our beach lounger. We ordered 4 sandwiches & 4 drinks = $124 without tip! My fault for not asking. Think it may have been the price that reflected the sandwich not being so great.