Independence of the Seas Cruise Review by Airbosstwr

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Independence of the Seas Cruise Review by Airbosstwr
Independence of the Seas
Independence of the Seas
Member Name: Airbosstwr
Cruise Date: January 2013
Cabin Category: F
See More About: Independence of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals
Dining 5+
Spa & Fitness 5+

Our Best Cruise Yet
We flew in two days early to make our usual trip to the Keys. We were a little apprehensive about a ship this close to going in for refurbishment and what it would be like. Not to mention the complaints some other reviewers had. We were pleasantly surprised. Having cruised Royal, Carnival, Princess, Disney and Holland America, my wife and I enjoyed this one the best.

Having a rent a car, we decided to drop our luggage off before returning the car to the airport. We are glad we did this, it was a lot more convenient than trying to schlep the luggage through the airport. We arrived at the port about noon. Fighting the traffic, and getting to the cruise terminal, dropping the bags and getting out took about 45 minutes. If you have your bags tagged, all you need to do is hand them off to the porter, tip them and leave. Very convenient.

Returning from the terminal to check-in was just as convenient. Having Platinum status, we were routed through check-in quickly and had less than a 5 minute wait. Up on the ship quickly and into our stateroom that was waiting for us.

The Muster Drill was different. No life vests required. But one of the great experiences we had was with one of the staff when returning to our stateroom. That person was Katrina Love, who is the lead singer with the group Synergy, performing in the Pyramid Lounge. We went down that night to see her, and was amazed how she went out of her way to interact with her audience. I normally don't want to be involved, but her personality made you want to interact. She got me to loosen up before even leaving port. This usually takes a couple of days. Kudos to Katrina.

The stateroom was in excellent condition. One of the complaints previous reviewers had was the attendants carts in the hallway. I did see this, but where else should they be? The staterooms were very clean, even on day eight. I had no issue with them having what they needed to do their job convenient. When the attendants were done, the carts were gone. This was not an issue.

The food was good. We have always preferred Royal's food. They did not disappoint. Neither did the staff. We had Anytime Dining. The host and hostess were our first contact with the Dining Room personnel. They were a great first impression. In the Dining Room, we had Harry and Yulius the first night, and made a point to get them whenever we could. From the suggestions, to the service, they were top of the line.

This was our first experience with the Royal Promenade. It was fun and exciting. The coffee shop saw us a lot. As did Sorrentos. I kind of thought their parade would be a disappointment, and was I pleasantly surprised to be wrong. Make a point to get to them. Especially the 70's Parade.

Several people complained about the lack of chairs. We had no problem getting two together when we wanted them. It was maybe not the first place we looked, but you did not have to hunt to far.

A few things I hope they fix. The Internet. It was down more than it was up. Also defaulted to UK sites. Secondly, the television. Eight days was a long time to have no good US news channel. A lot of "E" when out to sea. Also, ESPN and CNN from other countries. I did miss knowing what was going on back in the USA.

But the best thing about this ship was the staff. The crew was friendly. They all seemed to want to make your vacation great. I had not experienced the energy the employees put into their job.

The refurb will only make this ship better.

Publication Date: 01/29/13