Freedom of the Seas Cruise Review by Jj24: Opinion about Premium Beverage package and My Time Dining

Jj24
Member Since 2013

Compare Prices on Freedom of the Seas Western Caribbean Cruises

Opinion about Premium Beverage package and My Time Dining

Sail Date: January 2013
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

My husband and I just returned yesterday from our 7 night cruise on the Freedom of the Seas. There are a few things I would like to mention that I certainly would have found helpful knowing before I cruised. I realize that RC just started their Premium Beverage Package on the first of January. My husband really wanted to use this service because he enjoys drinking beer and he felt it would be easier to just pay the daily rate and not have to worry about how much he was spending on his drinks. First catch (which I understand the reasoning behind) was that if he bought the package I also had to buy the package since we were rooming together. The down side to this was that I mostly drink just wine and they only offered one type of house wine which wasn't very good. The cost to both of us was approximately $90.00 per day in total ($45.00 each per day). I think my husband more then benefited from the program but for me I probably would have been better off just buying the wine I wanted More outright. We spoke to the Bar Manager and he admitted they were still trying to work out some of the kinks...hopefully they will because all in all it is a pretty good idea. I personally thought the My Time Dining was extremely misleading. I had the impression that we would be able to eat at any time within the allocated time frame. Each day we called to make a reservation and we were told the same thing: they only had a few times available which were ironically very close in time to the regular dining room seating. We could eat at 5:30, 5:45 or 6:00. The next available time was 7:00 7:30 or 8:00. Each night we also asked for a window seat but we were instead placed at the exact same table with the exact same waiters ( they were wonderful). After a few nights of the "same old same old" we realized that it seemed as if RC was trying to offer a different dining option but it was really just a twist on the normal dining offered in the other dining rooms. We did have a beautiful balcony room that was in the aft of the ship and the staff was wonderful and extremely pleasant. All in all we once again had a great time on RC. Didn't do any excursions but instead just stayed on the ship most of the time and relaxed, which was exactly what we planned to do before we embarked on our trip. We are looking forward to taking the same trip next year on the same ship but probably going to the Eastern Caribbean. Less

Read more Freedom of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Freedom of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Freedom of the Seas Deluxe Oceanview Deck 6 9704

9704 on Freedom of the Seas. Great cabin...we thoroughly enjoyed the balcony. It was about twice the size of the standard balcony and was actually wide enough that we had two chairs a small table and a chaise lounge. The door going out to the balcony was a regular door, not a slider, which was a little loud each time we opened and closed it. The rest of the room was about what I would expect...sofa, coffee table, nice lighting by the bed to read with and a huge porthole window. It was so big I could sit in it ...about four feet by four feet and about two feet deep. The cabin was all the way at he back of the ship and in its own little alcove right next to the service door. When I first saw that I was a little nervous that it might be noisy when the staff used the door but seriously I never once heard anyone in the hall. Also, because of its location no other guest ever walked by our door. I will definitely ask for this cabin next year. RC says in the description of the room that is may have a limited view but in our opinion we had a better view then all of the other cabins in the Aft of the ship. It was just about a160 degree view of the ocean when we were on the balcony depending on how we placed our chairs.

We were true tourists in Cozumel! We went out to all of the shops, bought stuff for the kids and ourselves and ended up back at the ship with cigars, liquor, T-shirts, hats, etc. I will say the shops that are right at the docks are very nice and the area was extremely clean and the merchants were not too pushy.
Read 3121 Cozumel Reviews

Again this port was a vast improvement from Ochos Rios however it was extremely commercialized. We got off the ship, walked through the shops and were back on the ship within the hour.
Read 486 Falmouth Reviews

This was by far my most favorite port of all. We actually paid $20.00 each to take a tour of the island along with about 16 other people. The tour was not offered by RC...instead we found numerous people right at the dock offering various tours. It was great to see the island and it only lasted about 2 hours. We drove down past 7mile beach, went to "Hell", visited the Turtle Farm and the Dolphin Exhibit which was a lot of fun.

Labadee was very different then the last time we were there ten years ago. I realize RC was trying to improve their private beach but to me it was like a mini Disneyworld. We live at the beach on the East Coast so we weren't real taken with what we saw. We stayed for thirty minutes at the beach and then returned to a pretty desolate ship which was wonderful. The scenery was beautiful but I would probably never get off the ship again at that Port.
Read 366 Labadee Reviews