Norwegian Epic Cruise Review by hsmcruise: Epic relaxation

Member Since 2005

Compare Prices on Norwegian Epic Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Epic relaxation

Sail Date: January 2013

We are a 50 something couple that traveled with our 2 adult sons who are in their 20's. We arrived a day early and stayed at the intercontinental, miami. It was a great hotel and we got a good rate from last minute travel (we called and got even a better rate than offered on their web site)Taxi ride was maybe 7 minutes and cost $13.00.

We arrived at the port around 11:15 and we were on the ship by 11:40 and went directly to the spa to buy spa passes. This was the main reason we booked this ship again, as we love the spa area. The rate did go up substantially. 2 years ago it was $199 for a couple and now it was $146.00 per person. If this keeps the amount of people low, I am all for it. I did hear, that towards the end of the week they had reduced the price substantially. We then headed for the front desk and bought Posh passes. We really didn't need them as we stayed mostly in the spa area. But when we did go, it was only adults and quiet and not as hecticas the pool More area.

Our next stop was Taste for lunch, which was quite decent. I just don't know why the service is always so slow there. there were very few passengers and it took a while to get the menus, and there were plenty of staff around.

Luckily our rooms were ready early. We had an aft balcony, and our sons had an inside cabin nearby. Since our cabin was adjoining a suite there was a connecting door. This turned out to be a problem, as there were only shelves there and not a cabinet to store things. Our cabin was definitely short on storage. the closet was small and no shelves. my sons inside had much more storage than we did. We did love the view from the aft balcony and we didn't
really have any noise problems from H2O or from the thrusters when coming into port. We were well acquainted with the weird bathroom situation, which I'm not a fan of but I do have to say, the shower was much better than the shower I had on the Oceana Marina.

As I had learned on CC, we packed our bathing suits in our carry on, changed and went to the water slides before the lines formed. they were fun, but once was enough for me, but my family went on them numerous times.

We went to dinner at 6:30 as the first night is Lobster Night. We tried the Manhattan room, where there was a long line, so we went to Taste where there wasn't any wait. I had the surf and turf which was just average.

This cruise was during the football playoffs and we were disappointed that it was always hard to find a spot to watch. (on deck 5 & 6) We ended up watching in our cabin. Stupid move by NCL, as we are not buying beers in our cabin.

We signed up for the 115 minute internet package for $55. If you sign up the first day u get an extra 10 minutes and an extra 5 minutes for being a bronze lattitude member. As on every other ship, it was pretty slow.

The first day, we got up early and got to the gym at 7:40 and it was crazy busy. I love this gym. It is huge. The rest of week, it was never a problem getting a treadmill or bike. They offered many different classes, most with a fee and I didn't want to be committed to a schedule.

In St. maartin we were suppose to go on a private excursion Capt. Bob of Soulagia tours, but it was cancelled due to water conditions. He suggested Mullet bay. The taxi was $9.00 p.p. and took about 40 minutes. When we got there it was empty, and fish were jumping out of the water. There is a hut to buy, drinks and food, but no bathroom facilities. We rented chairs and umbrella and relaxed, went in the water. It was beautiful, but eventually it
started to get crowded. We decided to leave to go see the plane come in at Maho beach. It was about a 10 minute walk. We stopped in the sonesta hotel, and used there restrooms, and then went to the beach. It was very crowded down near the sunset grill. We eventually went to the Tortilla restaurant, which was expensive ($9 for a hot dog) but had a nice view. All of a sudden a patron said look at those idiots...The KLM 747 was taking off and people, wind and sand were flying all over the place. It looked like a disaster movie. I'm glad I wasnt down on the beach. After we watched some more planes land we walked towards the sonnesta and found a shuttle that charging $2.00 per person to Phillipsberg. We did some shopping and were tired so when another shuttled offered a ride back to port for $2 pp we took it. When we got out, he said it was $3 pp.We all heard $2 pp but didn't argue and the signs posted did say it was $3 pp.It really wasn't a long walk.

In St. thomas, we knew we wanted to go to Sapphire beach, and took a taxi there.
Unfortunately, as we arrived it started clouding up, rained for a few minutes, and was on the cold side. The wind did not make for great snorkeling, so we stayed only a couple hours, went back to the ship and ate lunch and then went out shopping. By then it was very hot and sunny~!

In Nassau, I decided not to get off the ship as the weather was cloudy and a drizzle. the boys went shopping. I just enjoyed the spa and read my book.

Specialty restaurants- Cirque du Soleil, great show and food was pretty good.
Cagney's - didn't have porterhouse steak. The filet mignon was good.
Tepanaky - big disappointment. Food just mediocre, the chef's show was poor,
and I dont get why I should spend $25, as I can get the same thing at home for
just about the same price.
Moderno- this one we were looking forwarded too, as it was amazing the first time. this time, food was dry and tough, and just not the same quality as before. The salad bar was good good.

The last night we ate in the Manhatten room, and it was just mediocre.

Entertainment- Blue Man group, very good but you have to like this humor.
Legends - Jimmy buffet, Donna Summer , whoopie goldberg were very good. the Michael Jackson was different, and not as good as in the previous show. The one 2 years ago, was scary how much he looked and acted like michael. 2nd city- enjoyed this show more than last time.

Disembarkation. this is where the Epic wasn't up to par. We were walk off and
went down around 8 am. when we got off the elevator there was a line circling the casino, and no staff around. It was impossible to get to the back of the line. we were forced to cut in, which I feel badly about. I heard someone said they had been waiting an hour and a half and that it was customs holding everything up.

Summary, - We thought the staff was excellent on this ship. The main pool areas were a little to zooey, for my taste. Loved Posh, the spa and the gym.
I'm sure we will be back. We have also been on the Oasis, but even with a few
faults, we prefer the Epic. Less

Read more Norwegian Epic cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Epic Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Epic Family Balcony Stateroom Deck 14 12315

12315 - since this connects to a suite, the door eliminates some storage. great views from balcony. inside cabin 12305 had more storage

Mullet bay is beautiful. Maho beach with the planes landing is fun. and shopping in Phillipsberg is great

Went to saphire beach and did shopping. nice port but have been there too many times
Read 2333 St. Thomas Reviews